cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£5324/month bill

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

In the mid 1990s I was with a tiny outfit called Cable Online which would, in turn, (I think) become Cabletel, then NTL, then Virgin Net, then Virgin Media.

I was on metered billing on my 28 kbs connection at just a penny a Mb.

Translating that on to my current usage gives the above figure (although I recall paying around £30 then (- dial up, download, quickly disconnect see). 

Most ISPs these days grant unlimited usage but one of the highly rated smaller players still does metered (albeit on an initial 1 Tb cap).

Is there still business sense in doing this do you think? 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).
1 REPLY 1

MrHalfAsleep
Community elder

It works, but only on a very small scale.  The big boys buy them out eventually.  Costs rise, so they need more customers, so they have to slow the speed down a bit to accommodate (more) users.  Eventually they run out of capacity, (need more customers) therefore requiring yet more infrastructure and 'leccy to power it all.  Then they run out of money. 

My VM bill has risen to £71 pm.  A speed bump up would be nice here to reward continuing loyalty, however, I don't expect anything.  No customers, no (need for extra) infrastructure.  I understand that Rolls Royce can do mini nuclear power stations, so maybe that would be an idea to supply ISP's/data centres etc with 'leccy.

Cable & Wireless used to do an unlimited 50p weekend call thing, where I would get a number off my then dialup ISP (they had at least 100-150 numbers) then stay on internet all night.

[TL;DR] No, I don't think so.  Infrastructure/capacity/price point is always gonna be a problem.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π