cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box slow, unable to get past the checks, stuck on loading info

Mint2323
On our wavelength

Hi, our V6 box is having an issue.

It is extremely slow and unresponsive at times, recording will have a lot of skipping and a complete TV guide no longer loads and will get stuck when trying to view.

The V6 box has wired internet and a different box works fine in the same location.

When I check the progress on the network connection section its showing always around 14% (loading info bit) but even left for days will never go further.

I have tried multiple reboots, different cables (we have multiple boxes so easy to test) but I feel the box itself has an issue.

Could someone help.

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your symptoms sound like potential hard drive issues, most notably the recording issues you mention.

You've not described any problems with live TV (this doesn't use the internet) - do you have any? If not, try pausing live TV and watch slightly delayed by a few minutes. This is also a recording and uses the HDD in the same way.

Does this play up? Clear HDD issues if so. Call it in as a fault (or wait here a few days), get a tech visit and have the V6 replaced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Mint2323
On our wavelength

Thank you for helping japitts,

Live TV seems ok, sometimes the actually channel takes a while to show from a black screen but I do not recall any issue once its showing.

I will test the pausing as mentioned and hopefully someone from VM might be about by then.

Could it be an area issue?

The basic online check shows all ok.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I very much doubt this is an area fault, you also mentioned "a different box works fine in the same location" - proving a likely box problem.

The slow tuning could be a tuner issue, or the HDD creating an initial buffer. Either way - the pausing experiment will be the acid test.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Mint2323
On our wavelength

Thanks japitts, yes your test highlighted the stutter issue.

So would seem to point to the HDD as you suggested.

Hi Mint2323, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue with one of your V6 boxes. Based on the checks you've run already and what you've described, it certainly sounds like japitts is right and there is a HDD issue with the box. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Mint2323,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 🤩

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here 👉 My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• ➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • ➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • ➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
  • ➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email.

Let us know how the appointment goes. 😊

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs