cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box connectivity issue

jenfamily1
Dialled in

PLEASE Please, please can I ask a moderator to address this issue?

As if it wasn't frustrating enough recently not being able to get the V6 box to automatically show the Virgin interface when the TV is switched on & having to keep rebooting it from the power socket. I tried six times to phone Virgin, each time there was no option other than them wanting to send a text, until finally I pressed the option for accounts and an Asian gentleman spent an hour repeatedly asking me over & over for serial numbers, Mac ID which was difficult to read upside down beneath the V6 box! Eventually he tried to say there were no issues despite my asking for an 'engineer' to come to check the box. He wouldn't arrange this unless I agreed to pay £25.I pay almost £100 per month for my service and I've never known it to be so difficult to get anyone to check if I have a faulty box. This equipment is basically rented from Virgin so why can't they maintain it? My contract expires October & the way I feel now is not to renew any longer.I've been a customer for about 15 yrs.

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What's the underlying issue you have with your V6? I'm reading the problem as "get the V6 box to automatically show the Virgin interface when the TV is switched on" - is that right?

A V6 defaults to the live TV view. The menu system has a timeout from the last key-press.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are wanting the TV to be showing what is on Virgin at switch on, this varies depending on the TV you are using. Some accept the automatic switching signal from the box, some don’t. With some, if you switch on with the remote using anything other than the standby button, the TV will assume you want a TV channel & not an HDMI or other input. This is very rarely a fault with the box, so make sure it’s not an issue with your TV, or you will be charged for any engineer call-out.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jenfamily1 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear of any TV issues. This does indeed sound like what nodrogd has said, when you switch your TV on, the Virgin TV box won't automatically show unless you move over to the HDMI option. 

In relation to why there'd be a charge, this is advised on every engineer booking and there will be no charge for a visit unless:
•              The engineer diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•              The engineer discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•              The engineer discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The engineer will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment;

Keep us posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill