cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo V6 not working with Samsung Smart TV

nigel8584
Tuning in

I've been having issues with my Tivo V6 box. Up to now I was watching on a 15 year old LG TV but recently it had developed intermittent issues with the screen flickering on and off, but only using Virgin Media (streaming from a Firestick was fine). Previously we'd had no issues going back several years.

As the TV was long overdue for an upgrade anyway, I  bought a new Samsung smart TV but when I plugged in the HDMI cable to the new TV it wouldn't connect at all. It seems the TV thinks the Virgin box is switched off which is definitely not the case. I tried switching the cable back and forth from old to TV to new and playing around with the Tivo Video Output settings but the best I could achieve on the new TV was a brief picture for less than a second but immediately cutting out again. 

I've tried with a couple of different HDMI cables I had in the house and just to be sure I've ordered a new high speed HDMI cable in case the TV needs a higher spec connection. The TV is a FHD 40 inch model but nothing really fancy. Does anyone have any other ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

nigel8584
Tuning in

Just to add I've tried switching the Tivo box off and back on again a few times and tried once holding down + and power buttons for 30 seconds as suggested on another thread (I'm not sure what that actually does). The Welcome and Starting up messages did show on my new screen but once Tivo was fully started up the connection dropped again.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could try a factory reset on the TV just to reset everything?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for suggestion but the new TV literally came out came out of the box yesterday. I tested the ports on the TV using the same HDMI cable with a laptop - no issues at all. Perhaps there's a fault with the HDMI port on the Tivo, will see for definite when my new cable arrives. Do VM charge for replacing faulty kit? I hope not after the fortune I pay them every month.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the box is faulty it will be replaced without charge as it’s essentially rented.  However if the box is not faulty you “may” be charged. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nigel8584 wrote:

and tried once holding down + and power buttons for 30 seconds as suggested on another thread (I'm not sure what that actually does).

This is a master software reinstall of the V6, for when all the other reset options fail. A bit of a sledgehammer & nut in your case!!

Sounds like you've ruled out the HDMI ports on your TV, so only the output port & the cable are left now.

nigel8584
Tuning in

New high speed HDMI cable arrived today and has resolved the issue. This TV at least doesn't like older standard HDMI cables.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thank you for updating the thread and posting the resolution. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Adduxi wrote:

Thank you for updating the thread and posting the resolution. 

Absolutely this - far too many people post on these support fora with a query, but don't update with the outcome when an element of "self-help" resolves it.

That, and demonstrating that VM's kit is not always at fault.