cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Virgin 360 - A massive step back in usability

Nilot
Tuning in

I have had the 360 now for over two years. I totally agree that the 360 as an “upgrade” is rubbish compared to the TiVo V6. My particular criticism is also the lack of a “shows” or “recordings” button and the ridiculous alternative of having to press a button seven times to get back to recordings if you are quickly switching between recordings, live tv and back again. The number of times that the remote either misunderstands the command “recordings” is unacceptable. Additionally, remote message frequently says it is “not able to do that yet.” Also it is a pain sometimes having to speak to a remote when feeling tired or just relaxing. I wish I had never switched from TiVo V6.

• Virgin must get a handle on this and do something to fix it. There have been no improvements since I received the 360 more than two years ago. I will leave at the end of my current contract if nothing is done.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sadly, most of the improvements you want will never happen. Virgin Media is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Global group. They run many cable operations all over Europe & have since the late 1990s been running the Horizon TV platform (that drives V360 & the new Stream product) on these outlets. This is now in its 4th generation, which includes cloud recording capabilities that allow you to access your recordings from anywhere. With the broadcasters here insisting that cloud recording cannot be used we are currently stuck with a hybrid solution that still uses a box master disk, with everything linked back to a headend server. That is why when your broadband goes down you lose most of the access to your hard disk.

With VM going fully fibre nationwide (XGS-PON) in the foreseeable future, the current TiVO/V6 & V360 RF receiving kit will be consigned to the scrap heap anyway. The only recording kit like you have now may be confined to Freeview & Freesat, whose days are also numbered.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sadly, most of the improvements you want will never happen. Virgin Media is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Global group. They run many cable operations all over Europe & have since the late 1990s been running the Horizon TV platform (that drives V360 & the new Stream product) on these outlets. This is now in its 4th generation, which includes cloud recording capabilities that allow you to access your recordings from anywhere. With the broadcasters here insisting that cloud recording cannot be used we are currently stuck with a hybrid solution that still uses a box master disk, with everything linked back to a headend server. That is why when your broadband goes down you lose most of the access to your hard disk.

With VM going fully fibre nationwide (XGS-PON) in the foreseeable future, the current TiVO/V6 & V360 RF receiving kit will be consigned to the scrap heap anyway. The only recording kit like you have now may be confined to Freeview & Freesat, whose days are also numbered.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd also add that, although easy to say in retrospect, conversions from TiVo/V6 > 360 are 100% voluntary except in the specific circumstance of a new package including Disney+ or Paramount+ which are TV360 exclusive.

There are numerous examples of marketing sorts calling (what are) conversions, "upgrades".

Was only voluntarily if you don’t mind paying FULL package price to keep your current contract rolling - when I renewed my contract I HAD to go to 360 no option to stay on V6! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@joebloggs wrote:

Was only voluntarily if you don’t mind paying FULL package price to keep your current contract rolling - when I renewed my contract I HAD to go to 360 no option to stay on V6! 

The sales person misadvised you then.

If your proposed package includes an element that is TV360-exclusive - which means Disney+ or Paramount+, then a migration is compulsory. If that doesn't apply, the migration is voluntary.

Based on the info from VM staff to VIPs on this forum, the information you were given was simply untrue. I've recontracted at least twice since TV360 became the only option for new customers, and both times have declined the voluntary conversion without any issues.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I can't see how it is difficult to switch between live and recordings, that's what the voice function is for and it works every time for me.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

It is not difficult to use/speak to remote. It is just a pain in the backside quite often when it doesn’t understand correctly or says “it hasn’t learned to do that yet.” or when you can’t be bothered. Also it’s sometimes pretty slow to react especially when you want something done in an instant, I much prefer a button where you can switch in a flash from recordings to live and back again as on TiVo V6.

From the 'grapevine', it was one broadcaster against it, and no, not the BBC. What I don't understand is, why not allow record on all the other broadcasters bar the objector.