cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install multi room cables

oppo
Tuning in

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to Virgin Media after having a terrible experience with another provider I've jumped ship and have a few questions I thought I'd ask.

1: I've signed up for internet and 360 TV multi room my property has never had VM before however it's a relatively new build and like every other house in my street has a VM (not sure of the correct name) cover just outside the boundary (in the pavement) - would this indicate there is ducting in place for my house and I'm not going to need my drive digging up?, next door haven't so I'd assume its a safe bet? 

2: if there is a pre-install required will they need to drill through the wall into the house? I'd like to agree where the cable comes in rather than it being in an odd place or is this what I'll agree with the engineer who comes on the install day it's self.

3: When they install the multi room TV the main box will be in the sitting room and the second box will be in the rear bedroom (opposite ends of the house. I'm aware I'll need a cable into the bedroom too, I'm assuming will they run this around the outside of the house rather than trailing cables around inside.

4: I've signed up for the 250 broadband, does anyone know which hub I'll receive (I'm guessing Hub 3?) 

5: does the VM engineer bring the kit (TV boxes, router) in the van on the day of the install or are these shipped prior to the install?

Thanks you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

Hi oppo,

First question who was your previous supplier just to know who to avoid should I decide to move.

@oppo wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to Virgin Media after having a terrible experience with another provider I've jumped ship and have a few questions I thought I'd ask.

1: I've signed up for internet and 360 TV multi room my property has never had VM before however it's a relatively new build and like every other house in my street has a VM (not sure of the correct name) cover just outside the boundary (in the pavement) - would this indicate there is ducting in place for my house and I'm not going to need my drive digging up?, next door haven't so I'd assume its a safe bet? 

If next door got it installed without digging up the drive you should be OK. My original cable was Cable and Wireless and they dugout the lawn, easier than the drive.

2: if there is a pre-install required will they need to drill through the wall into the house? I'd like to agree where the cable comes in rather than it being in an odd place or is this what I'll agree with the engineer who comes on the install day it's self.

They do need to drill through the wall and you should be able to discuss this with the engineer to get the best option.

3: When they install the multi room TV the main box will be in the sitting room and the second box will be in the rear bedroom (opposite ends of the house. I'm aware I'll need a cable into the bedroom too, I'm assuming will they run this around the outside of the house rather than trailing cables around inside.

My original 2nd box was in a bedroom at the rear of the house and the cable was split at the front and then up and over next doors link detached to the bedroom, All depends on your property and the discussion with the engineer.

4: I've signed up for the 250 broadband, does anyone know which hub I'll receive (I'm guessing Hub 3?) 

Not sure if they still issue hub 3's but I still have one on 600mb.

5: does the VM engineer bring the kit (TV boxes, router) in the van on the day of the install or are these shipped prior to the install?

If it's a new install the engineer would probably bring all the kit.

Thanks you.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

roy247
Community elder

Hi oppo,

First question who was your previous supplier just to know who to avoid should I decide to move.

@oppo wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

If next door got it installed without digging up the drive you should be OK. My original cable was Cable and Wireless and they dugout the lawn, easier than the drive.

They do need to drill through the wall and you should be able to discuss this with the engineer to get the best option.

My original 2nd box was in a bedroom at the rear of the house and the cable was split at the front and then up and over next doors link detached to the bedroom, All depends on your property and the discussion with the engineer.

Not sure if they still issue hub 3's but I still have one on 600mb.

If it's a new install the engineer would probably bring all the kit.

Thanks you.

Ryan_D
On our wavelength

Good Evening, @oppo

Hope you've had a good weekend and thank you for joining virgin media.

I've answered your questions below, If you have any further questions feel free to ask

@oppo wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

This is called an omni box If you have one, its unlikely they will need to do any digging especially If you're next neighbor had one then It should be a simple install for you - Yay!

When the engineer comes out you can discuss this with them and they may ask where you want things going and they will be able to assist you with that

This would be my type of install, running it outside the house it all depends on the access to the property, best to speak to the engineer on the day as they will advise what is best for you.

You will end up getting whatever is in stock, I know customers who have had the Hub 5 at 250mbps

This is normally sent prior, but depending on availability and how back-end is done, the engineer may bring it with them. I wouldn't worry too much 🙂

Thanks you.

Hope this helps you.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do work for Virgin Media however - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

VM Engineer West Midlands

roy247
Community elder

Hi oppo,

The omnibox is usually installed on the house/home/property not in the pavement. It is probably brown, have a look next door.

This is also where the cables get split from if they need running around your house.

Thank you for the detailed answer, my previous supplier is Sky, I’ve never had a problem with their service until I tried to upgrade and there was a problem loading the agreement so I couldn’t sign it, kept going round in circles orders cancelled and had to re order and barter the price each time. 

Hi @oppo 

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your interest in joining our service. We are glad to see the community was able to help with your answers. You can verify the serviceability of your property here https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/postcode-checker or by calling our team on 0345 650 4545. Please let us know if you need any further help and we will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs