cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire TV cube (2022 3rd gen version)

adhiren
Dialled in

Anyone know if this is compatible with the Virgin 360 box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unisoft
Knows their stuff

Interesting as Amazon market it as supported, so looks like they do but VM don't want to 🙂

Their web page quote for compatible devices list:

"Connect a compatible Cable or Satellite box to the HDMI input on Fire TV Cube to control live TV with Alexa or the included Fire TV Alexa Voice Remote. Selected Cable/Satellite boxes support this functionality, including: Sky, Virgin Media TV, BT, TalkTalk TV."

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

Aaron2
Well-informed

It's not officially supported no, you can use workarounds such as 3rd party apps but then it becomes a huge pain in the setup for it.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

unisoft
Knows their stuff

Interesting as Amazon market it as supported, so looks like they do but VM don't want to 🙂

"Connect a compatible Cable or Satellite box to the HDMI input on Fire TV Cube to control live TV with Alexa or the included Fire TV Alexa Voice Remote. Selected Cable/Satellite boxes support this functionality, including: Sky, Virgin Media TV, BT, TalkTalk TV."

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@unisoft wrote:

I noticed that in the Check Compatability pop up box and at the time thought it doesn't actually say which VM set top box.

I know there's a Canadian VMTV app (it's a shame VM UK can't adopt the same app) and thought it would definitely work with that as the app is available to download via the Amazon store as well as Google Play and ios.

https://www.virginplus.ca/en/tv/index.html 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@unisoft wrote:

I must have found a different listing as when I originally searched it didn't mention it in the compatibility, only Sky, reviews seem to suggest it work but they don't explain to the extent other than it switches to VM. The Amazon listing for both the 1st and current 3rd gen doesn't mention Virginmedia (https://www.amazon.co.uk/l/17752591031) which I got from https://www.amazon.co.uk/fire-tv-cube/dp/B09BZVGR73/

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Aaron2 

EDITED - Sorry I see you found it 🤣

It's only shown in the listing for new one due to be released October 27th 

When clicking on the box 

Have a cable or satellite set top box?

Fire TV Cube lets you control your compatible cable and satellite set top box with your voice and Fire TV Alexa Voice Remote. Check compatibility

new fire tv cubenew fire tv cube

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @Aaron2 

EDITED - Sorry I see you found it 🤣

It's only shown in the listing for new one due to be released October 27th 

When clicking on the box 

Have a cable or satellite set top box?

Fire TV Cube lets you control your compatible cable and satellite set top box with your voice and Fire TV Alexa Voice Remote. Check compatibility

new fire tv cubenew fire tv cube

That's the one I linked above, I scrolled down a bit, that's my mistake. I actually never noticed the compatibility view at the top.

I don't think there is a problem, just buy it and if it doesn't work as you feel it should then return it to Amazon for a full refund.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jerezo
Tuning in

i bought the third gen cube. it arrived this weekend. i updated firmware. I plugged the virginmedia hdmi cable into the cube and it would display the input without any problems but it does not give you any option to control the channels from within the cube using alexa or the remote (which is one of the main selling features for this generation).

basically, all you can currently do is switch to VM hdmi input which you could already do with the old v2 cube.

in looking at all the options for “manage equipment”, there were options for set top boxes for sky and talk talk but nonefor VM.

it might change but i suspect its just marketing hype or a mistake and will never arrive. im sending mine back along with new echo studio unless they remedy it in next week 

Thanks for the update.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection