cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 box without coax

Chunks13
Joining in

Does anyone know what services work on the 360 box if you don’t plug into coax? 

The location of the cabling doesn’t work for us and I’m struggling to see how we can actually use it.

9 REPLIES 9

Tavis75
Super solver

Nothing. The box needs the coax to initialise correctly and won't run without it. You should be able to get the cable moved by VM to a more suitable location, possibly with a £25 charge depending on the exact circumstances. If you've just added TV to your package or are a new customer then it should be free.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Chunks13 wrote:

Does anyone know what services work on the 360 box if you don’t plug into coax? 

The location of the cabling doesn’t work for us and I’m struggling to see how we can actually use it.

You might as well ask “Can I use a satellite receiver without connecting it to a dish?”.

Virgin TV is Cable TV. The cable carries broadcast channels in the same way as those from a dish or rooftop aerial. The system has been modified over the years to carry Broadband alongside the TV on spare radio frequencies, but the two are totally separate entities.

Virgin’s Stream box, which IS an IPTV product, is classed as a Broadband add-on & not a TV product. You could use this instead as long as you don’t want 1) more than one box or 2) recording facilities.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If this is the case, why do the instructions say if you do not have a cable long enough, you can use WiFi to connect your hub and 360 box? There is no mention of coax? 

That will be related to the network connection, for live TV both the 360 main box and mini box require a coax connection, the network connection to the hub is for on demand and streaming. If you are trying to watch live TV on a mini box without a coax cable connection you need to set the program to record and then watch it as a recording on the mini box with a slight delay apparently.

If you are talking about a stream box then that's different.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Saranne1983 wrote:

If this is the case, why do the instructions say if you do not have a cable long enough, you can use WiFi to connect your hub and 360 box? There is no mention of coax? 

It's better to start a new thread in most cases, but all TV360 & V6 boxes require 3 connections..

1: Co-ax cable provides a live broadcast TV signal

2: Internet connection provides OnDemand, streaming and numerous updates. Ethernet is best, WiFi will do

3: HDMI to your TV

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Saranne1983 wrote:

This refers to the Ethernet cable provided. V360 boxes are normally a manned install, but VM can provide a self install kit if you want the V360 installed within 3 metres of the hub.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

It’s not a stream box, but the booklet says if it’s not close enough to connect the Ethernet cable you can connect it wirelessly (the Ethernet is connected to the coax). 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Indeed so - those instructions are referring to the internet connection.

Point 2 in my post above, listing the 3 connections required. Ethernet & co-ax cannot be connected to each other, they are different connections.

Perhaps it would be helpful to post a photo of what you mean by "The Ethernet is connected to the coax".

Hi Saranne1983,

I think we need to clarify what you are trying to connect / install here, is it a new 360 main box or an additional mini box. Both boxes require a coax connection for live TV and connected to the your hub by ethernet cable or WiFi (ethernet cable is always preferred especially for the main box, WiFi should be good enough for a mini box if you have good a signal everywhere).

If you are doing a self install and the new splitter cable isn't long enough you can ask for a manned installation.