cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 360, thought old Tivo would still work

CurlyKylie
Dialled in

I was sent an upgrade to the 360 last week but was under the impression the Tivo would continue working and I could use it as a second box  I was planning on using them both together for a while as I've got a lot of Series Links and recordings on the Tivo still to watch, but the Tivo has now been disabled.

My initial thoughts on the 360 is the interface is horrible, less information and much more clutter plus things like the search keyboard is so much slower to navigate.  It seems to be a leap backwards in usability.

Is it possible to re-enable the old Tivo box, with my data, so I can continue using it.

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo & V6 boxes run on TiVo software, TV360 runs on Horizon software - much like Apple & Android, the two are completely different and cannot co-exist.

Once you've migrated to TV360 - either by requesting a conversion or accepting an invitation to do so, there is no going back to TiVo/V6.

What were the circumstances of you being "sent an upgrade"?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CurlyKylie
Dialled in

I responded to a free 360 box offer.

The boxes are separate hardware though, so just like you can run a Mac and a PC next to each other I'm surprised I can't run these boxes side by side.  That's extremely disappointing.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CurlyKylie wrote:

I responded to a free 360 box offer.

The boxes are separate hardware though, so just like you can run a Mac and a PC next to each other I'm surprised I can't run these boxes side by side.  That's extremely disappointing.

You can only run one TV platform or the other on an account. When you move to Horizon, any V6 TiVO is converted by a download, or if you have the older TiVO it is removed from Virgin's system & replaced with a V360 Main or Mini box. Don't forget your boxes are rented. You have ceased paying for the TiVO by migrating to Horizon, so it will no longer work.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Angriest
Joining in

Does this mean an 'automatic loss' of recorded programmes on a TIVO, if I switch to either a V6 or 360? Is there any way of 'retrieving/downloading/transferring' these recordings, either to the replacement box, or to another device? Are such recordings 'encrypted', or in an 'unusual file type' (e.g. NOT for example .videos in file format mp4)?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Recordings on VM TV boxes are encrypted to the specific box and cannot be transferred. The wholesale agreements with the broadcasters allow for timeshift viewing and not long-term archiving.