cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't watch recordings on itv

kay110
Dialled in

Same here... Have quite a few recordings from ITV that no longer play. Only option is to delete them from my recordings. Not happy.... Whats the use of having a TV box that records programmes for you and then the provider can then make not available. I'll have to reconnect my VHS machine and start using that again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kay110 wrote:

Basically its because Virgin removed ITV3 - thats the message. So I have had to delete quite a few recordings I enjoyed as they are no longer playable.

It’s because ITV decided to discontinue transmission of standard definition ITV3 on VM. Any recordings from ITV3 (formerly on channel 117) are then available for 12 months at which point the metadata (a “hidden” or ghost channel) that supports the recordings is removed from the network.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kay110 wrote:

Same here... Have quite a few recordings from ITV that no longer play. Only option is to delete them from my recordings. Not happy.... Whats the use of having a TV box that records programmes for you and then the provider can then make not available. I'll have to reconnect my VHS machine and start using that again.

Not for much longer. TiVO boxes are now being actively replaced with V6 boxes when they fail. These do not have compatible SCART outputs, so will not work with VCRs.

At the end of the day you are renting a box that has the ability to make TEMPORARY recordings. You do not own the box, so effectively don’t own anything that is recorded on it. As stated before, most pay channels have far harsher restrictions on how long you have to view recordings if a channel closes. If you cease subscription to a channel, the ability to view recordings is removed immediately.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I have system converters that will change any video source to a PAL 625 output to work with any VCR/DVD. You can input HDMI HD 1080p and out comes 625line interlaced PAL. No need for SCART. My VHS comment was however tongue in cheek, but you can transpose any video signal to another if you want!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You can break the encryption and record low-quality SD, but what's the point. I found that I recorded tons of stuff but hardly watched it. Now, if I really want to watch a TV series or a film repeatedly I buy the DVD or Blu-ray (or even Ultra HD Blu-ray).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @kay110 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you back here. 

I am so sorry that you have noticed this issue with your recordings, can I ask if there is an error message at all when you try to view the removed recording?

Basically its because Virgin removed ITV3 - thats the message. So I have had to delete quite a few recordings I enjoyed as they are no longer playable.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kay110 wrote:

It’s because ITV decided to discontinue transmission of standard definition ITV3 on VM. Any recordings from ITV3 (formerly on channel 117) are then available for 12 months at which point the metadata (a “hidden” or ghost channel) that supports the recordings is removed from the network.

My apologies for the disappointment you have with the availability of the ITV recordings you had @kay110 
As mentioned within this thread, the recordings are temporary and can be removed at the discretion of the broadcaster. This can be anything from licensing to, as seems to be what has happened in this case, a decision to remove/move channels such as the standard definition channels in which the recordings were available on. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley