cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Eero mesh and hub 3

stuey9964
Tuning in

I have tried just about everything to set up my Eero mesh with my hub 3 but cannot get an internet connection.  When I first set up the Eero and connect it to the rear of the hub 3 with the Ethernet cable provided it connects to the internet OK but as soon as I turn the Virgin hub 3 to modem mode I lose all connection and everything that I have tried up to now hasn’t made any difference.  I previously had the Eero set up with a Sky hub and had no problems so I would be grateful for any help as this has me tearing my hair out not that I have any to tear out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you do a full factory reset on the Eero and set it to Router mode, Automatic IP ?  These units can be run as Access Points, so just something to check.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You must follow a set sequence: 

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks, I’ll give that a try and just hope that it works

carl_pearce
Community elder

Just remember you cannot have any other wired devices connected to the HUB 3, since it can only provide internet access to one device when in modem mode, in this case the Eero mesh.

All other wired devices must be connected to the Eero.

stuey9964
Tuning in

I have tried what was suggested but made no progress whatsoever.  There is no internet access to the Eero.  The other thing was that I tried connecting my SkyQ box instead of the Eero to the hub 3 and there was no connection to that either in modem mode.  I know that they say that the light on the hub 3 in modem mode should be magenta but it looks red to me.  Any more suggestions would be helpful.

Did you reboot the HUB when swapping over devices?

The HUB 'latches' onto the first wired device connected, between reboots, so just swapping over devices will not work.

Are you using port 4?

stuey9964
Tuning in

No, I am using port 1

Try port 4.

OK will do that.  Thanks for the help

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you do a full factory reset on the Eero and set it to Router mode, Automatic IP ?  These units can be run as Access Points, so just something to check.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks