cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you cancel the O2 SIM after an upgrade?

hidet
Joining in

Last week I renewed my deal with VM for another 18 months. Previously I was getting phone, 500MB broadband and Max TV with SkySports and TNT for £99 a month. In the renewal, they have reduced my package to £74/month but made me take out an O2 SIM for £25/month so same cost overall.

My question is, can I just cancel the O2 SIM within the 14 day cooling off period, and effective cut my package to £74 a month? I have no use for the SIM. Or would that cause Virgin to pull the whole deal?

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The SIM is part of the package and if you cancel it the amount you pay will possibly go up to greater than the two combined.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi hidet 

Have a chat with O2 and ask them about downgrading to a lower priced sim.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

big-luap
Up to speed

My sim is SIM only and has been separate to my package for over 5 years, thats why O2 keep ringing me to get me to upgrade. Will lose £26 airtime discount.

My current charge for 2x sims is £33.34 - 21.68 (Airtime Discount) = 11.66 + 2.33 vat - £13.99 will go up by 68p 

jk1990
Dialled in

I cancelled it technically they can change the package and/or you may end up paying more for less. I have volt which means I get a speed upgrade by having the sim. They said I would likely lose the speed upgrade by not having the sim. In my case I got an email after the sim was removed saying I’d still keep the package and benefits and nothing would change on the virgin side. No idea if that’s standard or if I got lucky. Sim has to be removed by o2 not virgin so don’t waste time in virgins line for two hours like I did. Nobody seems to promise it will be ok and ultimately it’s a risk you don’t know what will happen till it’s done. 

The only change is the sim dropped off of the account as seen in MyVirginmedia. That’s the bill the month after it was cancelled.

IMG_0087.png

IMG_0089.jpeg