cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGS-PON Packages

MrJG08
On our wavelength

Virgin have nearly finished rolling out their XGS-PON FTTP product in my area, I was speaking to one of their guys that confirmed what they were rolling out and he said it is capable of 10Gbps symmetric.

I know you won't be able to get 10Gbps from the get go, but will they be offering 1Gbps symmetric packages or still the same bollocks and cap the upload to 50-100Mbps?

Also any one know the prices of their new service?

Thanks.

115 REPLIES 115

geordiemark
On our wavelength

I read on bt website they are bringing out 1gb download and 220mb upload speed, theres many other companies thats going fttp its not just vm, if vm think that customers will pay through the nose for fttp super broadband they best think again, they would have to go with same prices or cheaper then there counterparts who are all involved with fttp super broadband or they will find many of there customers jumping ship 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I have two things to say.

1. It's a competitive broadband market, and everyone is aware of what the competitors are doing.

2. There are bigger things to consider, e.g. Pay TV is important and VM is superior to BT TV, and most people care more about the TV channels they can get than faster broadband speeds that they don't make use of.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

With virgin xgspon they aren’t offering tv services like they used too, more like an additional, surely more people watch netflix etc? 

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Actually, no, you might be suprised to discover just how many people still rely on ‘linear TV’

unisoft
Knows their stuff

Linear and on demand can be catered for on XGS-PON by issuing Stream boxes. The cloud recording will get sorted at some point, or they may introduce a Stream box with a disk inside potentially as the non-default model if they can't get sorted.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m quite content with my Humax Freeview recorder. I also use Streaming services, BUT the big difference is, being monthly contracts as such, I stop and start them when there is something I want to watch. Also at times I get offers like £2 for two months. I would never go back to VM for TV.

As for 10 GB internet, even XGS-PON will have a maximum shared limit. That 10GB might be shared across many users. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Martyn
Superfast

2000/200 will be available eventually 😉

Hey Martyn, thank you for reaching out and we are always expanding and investing into our network, any news can be found here Cheers

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I’m currently on it, just isn’t publicly available yet.

MrJG08
On our wavelength

Anything higher than 200 for upload coming?

Heard anything about modem mode being made available on the hub 5x?