cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband throttling deceit

mless
Joining in

On the whole my broadband is fine, not amazing, but fine. What massively cheeses me off is when there is high demand and they need to throttle usage in an area, but they pretend that there is an issue with your hub rather than admitting high demand. I assume it is a means of avoiding OFCOM fines or some such.

Finally managed to see this in action by having speedtest running and then starting the virgin media online “check my broadband” function. This showed that prior to running this I was getting about 0.5mbs and then during the fault finding this shot up to 10mbs and the dropped down to 0.5 again once fault finding finished.

I don’t understand why they don’t just say yeh high demand in your area sorry, rather than lying about it being a hub issue. Especially when a virgin hub reset is such a massive pain in the proverbial. Always takes f-ing ages to reconnect all the devices in the house and the reset itself quite often takes up to 5mins

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM don't apply throttling. They do often connect too many users to a segment which means at busy times there is contention and users get reduced speeds.

Speed tests are not absolute. They require your full network capacity to get a valid reading.  If you run ANY other networking function at the same time, your modem/router has to share your network connection between them and the speed test result will be meaningless. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

carl_pearce
Community elder

Neither of those speeds appear to be anywhere near a VM subscription.

What subscription are you on?

What does this site show:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

DOCSIS Cable Broadband by its nature is a shared resource. If neighbours a few houses away are saturating the network, everyones speeds in the segment will suffer.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cje85
Trouble shooter

There's no throttling, it's just possible for speeds to drop at peak times due to heavy usage in the area. It's like if everyone in your area turned their taps on full at the same time, the water pressure would drop. The water company isn't throttling the water supply, there just isn't enough capacity in the pipes to meet the heavy demand. 

Client62
Legend

Sadly there are plenty of school boys that burn shared bandwidth running endless speed tests and ping floods these degrade the internet service for the whole street !

IPFreely
Fibre optic

@mless wrote:

On the whole my broadband is fine, not amazing, but fine. What massively cheeses me off is when there is high demand and they need to throttle usage in an area, but they pretend that there is an issue with your hub rather than admitting high demand. I assume it is a means of avoiding OFCOM fines or some such.

Slow speeds in a small area due to high demand and insufficient capacity wouldn't cause issues with Ofcom. Throttling on the sly would in a big way. You're mistaken.