cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my email password?

claret3
Joining in

Following my ntlworld email address being locked a VM operative changed my password over the phone. I want to change this password again - but I cant see how to do that? It doesnt seem to be in the settings menu.  I'm not very tech savvy - can someone help please?

26 REPLIES 26

@Jeffman25 wrote:

I believe my email address has been hacked as people are receiving spam emails from me, so need to change my password, but I have an ntlworld account with no virgin media package linked. How do I resolve this issue?

So are you saying that you are not a current VM broadband customer? If so then the email mailbox is orphaned and liable to deletion at any time. Once the forum team get to this message, then they will probably offer to contact you for further details. However it is quite possible that the only thing they will be able to do is arrange for the mailbox to be fully deleted.

If you go to https://mail2.virginmedia.com and enter your email address, is there a link for 'forgotten password'? If that doesn't work or leads you in a circle, then the only option is to wait for the forum team.

That link just takes me to my emails. If I log out & do forgot password it doesn't seem to do anything. Hopefully the forum team are able to do something 🤞🏻

Hi Jeffman25,

If you ,are no longer a Virgin Media customer we are unable to help reset your password, all we can do is permanently delete the Emil address.

Regards

Paul.

Rego4783
Joining in

I have also had this issue and so far nearly 2 weeks down the line after several calls on 150 I am no further forward. The option to change a password on an additional email address is. It available. Nobody at virgin seems to be able to help. Time to change service provider

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rego4783 

Thanks for your response and sorry to hear the issue is still ongoing

I'll drop you a private message now to collect some more information and investigate further, keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Chris.

Apologies to Claret 3 for butting into this thread but I have a similar problem and I have been unable to get anyone at Virgin to help walk me through the processes to recover 2 blocked accounts (1 @ Virgin and 1 @ NTL). On the second of 2 calls to the help-line I was, after quite a length of time), asked to hang up and told to await a call back. That never came and subsequent   pleas for help on various Virgin "help" pages got me nowhere, just an endless "runaround" to other unhelpful pages. 

To summarise my problem.

When I log into my Virgin mail, 2 accounts are accessible but the other 2 are blocked and a pop-up appears stating :-

Error. The provided login data to access e-mail server imap.ntlworld.com seems to be wrong. Please correct them.

When I go looking at the "Accounts" page on My Virgin Media, the 2 blocked accounts have the message :-

The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them.

And this is where things get difficult for me as I just do not have the technical savvy to go further.

Basically, it seems that Virgin want me to “Edit” my “username” via a non-Virgin e-mail account (which I have). But that is something well outside my comfort zone and, given the outcome of my previous calls, I have little confidence that the process will not make matters worse, let alone recover the accounts.

I would therefore be extremely grateful if you could use your good offices to get someone to walk me through the necessary processes.

Thank You

Dave

Hi DaveArthur1,

Thanks for taking the time to post in the community and apologies to hear you've had some issues getting your email accounts unlocked. . 

There are some steps you'll need to follow in order to resolve this. This isn't something we can do for you at this end either I'm afraid. 

Please log in to My Virgin Media here using the blocked account email > Click on Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > scroll down to the App password section and click the Generate new App password button.

You should get a pop up message asking you to verify your email address and you'll need to use a 3rd party email address to continue. If you have more than 1 email address, you'll need a different third party email address for each VM account. You'll be sent a one time passcode to the third party email address and you'll need to enter this on the next page to verify it's you. Once verified it will produce a new app password which will look similar to this: mail-horse-yellow-panda.

Wait 10 minutes and the Virgin Media email address should unlock automatically. 

Once this is done for one of the accounts, you can then use the same process for the second blocked account. 

These changes have been put in place as Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is now required. Just as a side note, when logging in to My VM directly, you will continue to use your third party email address as the username. If you plan on setting up your email on a client or app then you would use the VM email address as the username and not the third party email. 

Please let me know how you get on and apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs