cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my email password?

claret3
Joining in

Following my ntlworld email address being locked a VM operative changed my password over the phone. I want to change this password again - but I cant see how to do that? It doesnt seem to be in the settings menu.  I'm not very tech savvy - can someone help please?

26 REPLIES 26

mhlgreen
On our wavelength

Graham_A, thanks for the tip about using the "forgotten password" link on the login page to change the password on an associated account.  It should work, but we found an unexpected problem.

It asks you for the answer to your security question.  When we set up our associated accounts years ago in the days of NTL, I don't think there was a security question.  Certainly it rejected the factually correct answer.

Possible tip:  Login in to any associated accounts and make sure you have set up and kept a record of your security question while everything is still working.  Also check any other details, including d.o.b.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mhlgreen In times past it has been reported that security answers on long standing accounts some times work if entered in all lower case or all upper case letters. Worth trying.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mhlgreen
On our wavelength

Alex_RM  Thanks.  Everything is now working again (grateful to Rahul), with some extra work updating each computer and iphone.  However,

1) The episode has severely shaken our faith in Virgin email.

2) We suspect that not all Virgin phone support staff are clued up on unblocking email accounts

3) The design of the email website needs a hard look.  Important options can be hidden and the layout is often counterintuitive.  Some options are ambiguous, e.g. Does "Enter Password" mean existing password or changed password?  On the main user email webpage, does delete a link to an associated email delete the link or delete the entire email account.

NB This is intended as constructive criticism.

I have a similar problem to which has been discussed in this thread re my ntlworld account.  Tried the link and as I cannot access my email address for the link to be sent there I tried the other option.  It wouldn't move from the screen asking to input my date of birth and security question.  So the other option was to call Virgin Media.  I called them this morning and they said it would take 5 days to send me a letter to reset my password.  Very frustrating as I haven't had access to my email since yesterday morning and I use it for work.  It has caused me enormous work-related problems as a result today.

Does anyone know of any way I can resolve the password issue in less than 5 days?

We phoned a total of three times

First time support lady said 7-10 working days

A week later support helper said it would work again in an hour (but it didn't)

Third helper unblocked the account while we were on the line, gave us a temporary password.

Logged in successfully with the temporary password and retrieved the piled up emails

Logged back in and set a permanent password (plus updated other details)

ADVICE:  PHONE AGAIN (AND AGAIN UNTIL THEY SORT IT)

Thanks @mlhgreen.  Will call again today and keep calling.

Hey Rachel188, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome the community. I am sorry you cannot get into your emails.

Is this the memorable word so we can gain access into your account? If so this is sent by letter. 

Please can you expand on the issues you need some help with please? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks Matthew.  It finally got sorted out yesterday after numerous calls.  In case it helps anyone, the reason it was problematic was because my email had been at some point automatically linked to our VM broadband and me made the secondary user so I couldn't access my email account directly and neither could they (their system) at their end.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rachel188, 

Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know this has now been resolved, we are very happy to hear this 🙂

Please get in touch if we can assist in the future. 

Take care, 

Nat

Jeffman25
Joining in

I believe my email address has been hacked as people are receiving spam emails from me, so need to change my password, but I have an ntlworld account with no virgin media package linked. How do I resolve this issue?