cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access websites

IainThayne
Joining in

Since the weekend I can’t access my sports club website where I coordinate community activity and fundraising. Have issues using VM Wi-Fi - 3 different laptops with different browsers and phone. None work. All fine with these devices if I use mobile data so it’s defo something to do with the Wi-Fi. Tried to use the radio buttons on websafe but they don’t work. Not sure what else to try. 

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What message or error are you receiving when trying to access the site?

What is the site you are trying to access? Others on here may be able to confirm the issue on their VM connections and help to diagnose.

IMG_4953.png

 this is what I see when I try and use the radio buttons which don’t work.  I’m trying to get to www.strathclydeparkrc.co.uk and the webmail related to that site

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What is the error message you see on screen in the browser when you try to access the site? Your image seems to show a page for VM Virus Safe/Web safe rather than the blocking image when the page fails to resolve.

There is nothing showing in blocked.org.uk or Virus Total to suggest a reason for VM blocking your site.

IMG_4954.jpeg

 standard can’t reach page. There are 2 things here 1) can’t get to this website when connected to Wi-Fi but can with same terminals when using mobile data. I also checked from another location with VM Wi-Fi this morning and I can access no problem so something local to me ? 2) the radio buttons on WebSafe don’t work - that was the previous image. So I can’t even whitelist the site 

It is not a blocking issue I don't think. You would get a branded VM message for that AFAIK.

Possibly a DNS problem on VM. I am on a BT connection and all works OK. Others on here may offer to test using a VM connection to see if they can replicate

If you are confident to do so, for the purposes of a test on your PC, try changing the DNS (say to Google) and see if you can access the site

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

You can reverse the process afterwards to go back to VM DNS once you have tried it.

IMG_4955.jpeg

 does this not suggest it is not a DNS issue ? Also, why do the radio buttons on WebSafe not work ?

I get the same IP via BT DNS from nslookup. It does not appear that VM web safe has the site listed though when checked here

https://www.blocked.org.uk/

VM web safe not working (unable to configure it or turn it on/off is a regular source of complaint on the forums) and it works via VM DNS. The fact you cannot configure VM web safe may be part of the issue. Try a different DNS to confirm access which should bypass VM web safe. You could also try a tracert via VM to see if it hangs.

I don't have a VM connection to check anything else VM-related. One of the forum regulars on a VM connection may be able to advise further or the VM forum team will reply here within a few days.

Hi @IainThayne 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

A few of my colleagues on a Virgin Media connection have confirmed they can access the website fine.

Have you tried the latest suggestion provided by @goslow? If so, has that made any difference at all?

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel - thanks for making contact. I’m not so confident in doing the DNS reconfigurations that @goslow suggested and anyway, I’m not sure what that would yield. Is this the proposed workaround that I have to reconfigure DNS to make things work ? Doesn’t seem like great customer service from an internet provider requiring their clients to grub around in the dirt of their software. I also tried on another VM router and that works so it confirms what you mention - it seems very local. Also the fact that I can use my phone and multiple laptops and connect quite happily using local hotspot with no external Wi-Fi enabled internet connection suggests it is something to do with the local router. So can someone from VM remotely run some test on my router ?