cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Vulnerable' customer - is it possible to speak to an agent in the UK?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm moving to a new place next weekend and took out my first ever broadband contract with Virgin Media this week as the alternative was a much slower BT line option. I'm leaving an abusive living situation and work from home, so getting my broadband set up quickly is really important to me.

Despite this hopefully being a new start, I've been quite stressed this week, not helped by my experience with the agents, and I did burst into tears on what must have been my 6th or 7th call yesterday following calls earlier in the week too.

They did ask if I was a 'vulnerable' customer in one of the early calls and perhaps I should have mentioned that I've been struggling recently, but I thought they were referring to people who perhaps have long term disabilities.

Firstly there were issues with the previous tenant of the house apparently still having their account active at the address (my landlord said they'd spoken to them, and they'd confirmed cancelling some time before so they had called VM again) and I ended going through some sort of back office disconnection request process twice.

My account was set up for the hardware to be sent to my current address (apparently it has to be signed for) so I know I have it when I move. I'm ok with this and with the tracking, I think I can make sure I receive it without any problems, but the confirmation email I received said it was being sent to my new address ahead of me getting the keys and the tracking link doesn't work. As it's some distance away and I won't have access yet that day, I can't be there there. I called up yesterday evening and was shouted at by a female agent and told they couldn't confirm where the hardware would be sent due to confidentiality. I asked if I could speak to someone senior (I'm sorry to do this, but I was very stressed) and was told no. I asked if I could speak to cancellations (hoping to be transferred to someone else) and was told no, they were cancellations. Eventually they said due to the dispatch not yet being made, they would send it to my current address, even though that should (was?) done by the agent when I took the contract out earlier in the day. I'm still not confident that's been set up correctly.

I'm really anxious in case there are further problems. I'm on hold to an agent at the moment (they went to check something - 30 minutes and counting). The broadband is my biggest worry about moving as there aren't any hot desking spaces in my area, and I don't have friends (who might offer for me to work from their homes) nearby either.

Does anyone know if it's possible to speak to someone in the UK who might be able to be a point of contact until things are up and running, which hopefully will be next weekend? I would feel a lot better if I knew the hardware was definitely coming to my current address so I have it when I go. Any advice would be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

carl_pearce
Community elder

Try at 8am when the lines open.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums, we are so sorry to hear you have been having some issues with your install, especially on your fresh start. I can take a look into this for you and pop you over a PM, just keep an eye out for the little envelope 📩👀
Thanks,
Zoie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zoie, I've sent the details to try and clear security that you request twice. Please can you confirm you've got them? Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Anonymous 

It's possible that Zoie has finished for the day and so won't reply until she is next online.  The forum team work shifts, the same as the phone agents, and some of them also work on the social media side as well (facebook and twitter)

It might be an idea if you can arrange a manned installation instead as the tech/angineer will bring the equipment with them - they do tend to send you a message an hour or two before they arrive to confirm they are coming or going to be delayed.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I sent the details needed to pass security yesterday and they've been requested again so we've lost a day. If this can't be resolved tomorrow then I may need to cancel the whole thing because it's just too stressful. I appreciate your suggestion but the communication is just too poor, on the phone especially.  I'm hoping Zoie will help tomorrow. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined as a customer on Friday but have no end of communication issues with VM (I'm in double figures with calls) and would like to cancel. 

I haven't yet received the hardware and I'm well within the 14 days cooling off period. 

I tried to call up twice yesterday but was cut off both times by the retentions team as soon as the call was answered. I just got through again and the agent took all my details and my reason for wanting to cancel but said he couldn't help so would transfer me to someone else. I'm stuck on hold (20 mins and counting). 

This has been the worst experience I've ever had with a service provider and has added a huge amount of stress to an already difficult time with moving house. 

Could anyone offer any advice? I paid a £25 deposit and the direct debit is set up but I haven't received the hardware or activated the service. I've tried to get some help by DM here but am not finding it quick enough or very easy to communicate. I feel like VM are trying to make it as difficult as possible. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good Morning Laura, this is so sad to hear but we completely understand, we can still chat if you want me to confirm this has been cancelled and I can help with your complaint you have, let me know I am free all day up until 5:30

Zoie