cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

I just moved from VM to Zen, fttp. One of the technical reasons I gave them on their incessant retention calls was lack of IPv6 (the other lack of static IPv4).  Zen is working out great so far, static /48 with IPv6.

Personal opinion is somebody in liberty global screwed up in deciding on DS-Lite. By the  time the mistake was identified and buried IPv6 transition was buried with it.

VM have never been able to properly manage IPv4. That is why we don't get static address etc. IPv6 where users are allocated a subnet must be a nightmare as you would reasonably expect that subnet to remain static.

It would be great if it was the end users responsibility to request an IPv6 address and the network providers responsibility to route the advertised address.

Come to think of it I did exactly that back in the late 80s when I requested a class b network and multiple operators have routed it for the past 30 years. Despite multiple ownership all seem pleased of that simple act 30 years ago.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

@sgjohnston wrote:

I just moved from VM to Zen, fttp. One of the technical reasons I gave them on their incessant retention calls was lack of IPv6 (the other lack of static IPv4).  Zen is working out great so far, static /48 with IPv6.

Interesting ISP - I am checking them out now ( https://www.zen.co.uk ) given the extra that VM want to take from March....

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.

@Timwilky wrote:

Personal opinion is somebody in liberty global screwed up in deciding on DS-Lite. By the  time the mistake was identified and buried IPv6 transition was buried with it.

VM have never been able to properly manage IPv4. That is why we don't get static address etc. IPv6 where users are allocated a subnet must be a nightmare as you would reasonably expect that subnet to remain static.

plenty of "home" ISPs don't offer static IP addresses, so it's hardly something unique to Virgin.
I'm sure the argument against static IPs would be that why would a home user need a static IP address, and i can see why that argument would hold water.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

@spgray wrote:

@Timwilky wrote:

plenty of "home" ISPs don't offer static IP addresses, so it's hardly something unique to Virgin.
I'm sure the argument against static IPs would be that why would a home user need a static IP address, and i can see why that argument would hold water.

As there is a new IP assigned to each MAC that connects to the network then a fixed IP would only work if users never changed their MAC.  I do remember some ISP's in the UK (95-02) offering dynamic dns services for free as part of their dial-up package.  That solution would be easy to do and I am unsure why this didn't carry forward once lines got faster and fixed lines became common.  I also remember that there was a time when NTL required you to register the MAC addresses you wanted to use on the network (Max of 3 I think, but no more than one at a time).  We should hopefully have fixed IP (v6) assignments once that rolls out, and it would be a nice to have if they added DynamicDNS in.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

@spgray wrote:

Add to that the fact that, to all intents and purposes, my Virgin Media IP address is all-but static. My IP last changed on 3rd November, and before that it hadn't changed since August 2019...

That's 'static' enough for my purposes.

Andy

Same - my Zen FTTP (500 down 75 up) is being installed in a few days, it'll be less than I'm paying VM for Vivid 350 from March AND they guarantee not to raise prices either during your minimum term, or for as long as you keep the contract live.

I'm just thankful I've got a plethora of options (FTTC, FTTP and Cable) where I live.

@philjohn wrote:

Same - my Zen FTTP (500 down 75 up) is being installed in a few days, it'll be less than I'm paying VM for Vivid 350 from March AND they guarantee not to raise prices either during your minimum term, or for as long as you keep the contract live.

I'm just thankful I've got a plethora of options (FTTC, FTTP and Cable) where I live.

That's my problem sadly. My only other option to Virgin is FTTC, so I'd be dropping to something like 80 MBits/sec or so if I were to move.

Openreach notified me months ago that they were starting the process to put Fibre into our street, but no idea when that'll actually happen.

Andy

@adhawkins wrote:

@philjohn wrote:

That's my problem sadly. My only other option to Virgin is FTTC, so I'd be dropping to something like 80 MBits/sec or so if I were to move.

Openreach notified me months ago that they were starting the process to put Fibre into our street, but no idea when that'll actually happen.

Andy

I would bet that's what holds most people to VM.  If I could move to FTTP right now I would, it's annoying as there's a large call centre behind my house (BT) and the fibre is just on the other side of my fence.  The great thing about BT FTTP is that once you pay the huge install cost (If your area is not ready and you stump up the full cost) you can do the contract length with your first provider then move to any Openreach client - so a huge savings over VM.  The cost can be eye-watering for somewhere it's not deployed.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

@VMCopperUser wrote:
I would bet that's what holds most people to VM.  If I could move to FTTP right now I would

yup.. pretty much...