cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

SlySven
Dialled in

Their response includes the statement "We’re in the process of finalising our plans for IPv6 deployment" which is promising."

Really, "promising" ?! Haven't they been promising IPv6 for, um, ten years or so now? And, weasel-words wise, those plans that are being "finalised" could be: "to sit on their hands for another ten years"...!

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.

Yea, I can imagine them in the meeting. 

"Should we use this internet 6 thing?"

"I hear it's 1000 times bigger than the internet 4 thing!"

"Wow, sounds great, let's tell people we will do it, and since it's 1000 times larger we can delay deployment for 10 or 20 years, they will never know our internet is not that big."

"Ok, good job guys, let's file for our bonuses now since we are going to be 1000 times bigger."

"Done, meet again in 12 months so we can talk more."

No good way to write, 2^96, so I used 1000.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

No good way to write, 2^96, ....

How about: 79,228,162,514,264,337,593,543,950,336 ?

79 Octillion times larger.

I just can't see the people in the boardroom thinking that's impressive. 

Person1: "It's over 79 Octillion times larger!"

Person2: "It's what?"

Person3: "I hear that's like, more than 1 thousand times larger!"

Person2: "Wow, That's great, Lead with that next time."

Person1: "I'll get my coat."

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

You are using the inflationary U.S. octillion aren't you. Back in the good 'ol days we'd only be talking 79 thousand quadrillion... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers#Standard_dictionary_numbers

Just been having a read of the New Build Advice handbook for builders and found this ...

hitron

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

I'd get excited but I know I will end up disappointed 🙂 Maybe, just maybe, this indicates movement on their IPv6 deployment.

@ChrisJenkins wrote:

I'd get excited but I know I will end up disappointed 🙂 Maybe, just maybe, this indicates movement on their IPv6 deployment.

It's probably a typo 😆

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like a copy-paste from the spec sheet for the device. IIRC all of the SH parent devices are marketed as being IPv6 capable too.

Yeah just because they're IPv6 capable doesn't mean the network itself will support it