cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 is better than TP Link Ax3000

bateman7
Joining in

Basically the title.

Was struggling with poor signal in my upstairs bedroom on my Hub 3. Decided to get a TP Link Ax3000 as recommended on this sub.

Long story short my Internet went a bit funny and had to get an engineer in.

Super nice guy who just offered me a Hub 5 on the spot for free.

I compared Hub 3 + Ax3000 vs the Hub 5.

Hub 5 reaches all corners of my flat, and is also faster too on the ookla speedtest.

I'm only writing this as people were debating Hub 5 vs router.

6 REPLIES 6

SteNix2020
Up to speed

Nice quick fix there, good to see!

Merry Christmas!

mda99das
Up to speed

I find the same. I got a hub 5 in Aug 22 and had a very expensive Draytek Viggor. I decided to put the Hub 5 in modem mode thinking it would be better, it wasn't and it only has WiFi 5. Now using it as a very expensive switch. Hub 5 is in the loft and gets coverage everywhere. I've been told not all hub 5s are made the same. There are some batches that have got glitches in them.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you test your old router in the same position as the Hub 5?  Just wondering.

As for the Hub 5, there are many glitches in the firmware to which VM are addressing.  It usually takes a while for a new Hub to have the glitches sorted out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes I did and there was significant lag even on ethernet. I made sure I had latest firmware on the Draytek, and even direct ethernet PC connection caused a lag. The configuration I have now suits my needs but there is one glitch with wired PCs regardless of which windows version. When waking up from sleep the internet doesn't work and there is a yellow exclamation mark in the lower right hand corner where the network icon is. It can take a minute to sort out. Disabling and reenabling the ethernet adapter sorts it in about 10 seconds. From an off position it's fine. Ironically the 3 VM boxes which are all connected by ethernet don't have this glitch.  The main box is connected directly to the hub 5 via a 50m internal CAT 5e and get decent speeds. Netflix streams very quickly in UHD. The other 2 boxes are connected via 2 separate switches.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would hazard a guess the DHCP on the Hub 5 is not dealing well with the PC's coming out of sleep mode very well?  It is one of the known glitches at the moment. 

I suspect as the VM boxes are not fully "sleeping" the DHCP is still working in the background.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes I've heard there is a glitch but it's hard to find info on this.