cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Virgin Fibre Optic be used by other internet providers?

Peasan
Joining in

I have looked around the internet but cant seem to find an answer.

Can other internet providers use an already installed fibre optic line from Virgin Media?

I think other providers can use BT fibre optic lines but not sure if Virgin Media would permit this or not.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also the "BT" lines are Openreach.  They own the fibre infrastructure and can be used by various ISPs, including BT

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Peasan wrote:

I have looked around the internet but cant seem to find an answer.

Can other internet providers use an already installed fibre optic line from Virgin Media?

I think other providers can use BT fibre optic lines but not sure if Virgin Media would permit this or not.

Thanks in advance.

95% of VMs local network is currently copper coaxial cabling. This is only suitable for DOCSIS type Broadband, for which VM has an exclusive Cable franchise to operate. Most of the ducts are already overcrowded, so feeding anyone else’s cables down for fibre is a non-starter. When VM transitions away from traditional cable services to XGS-PON kit & the ducts are cleared of the existing clutter, duct sharing could then be a possibility.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

You think that they, or anyone else, will actually spend money to pull the old copper out of the ducts - unless, of course, the price of copper goes up to make its resale value worth it? Otherwise, no they are simply going to leave it, aren’t they?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

No, when users are migrated to XGS-PON VM will at last be able to remove the coaxial cables which are clogging up the ducts.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FlockWallpaper wrote:

You think that they, or anyone else, will actually spend money to pull the old copper out of the ducts - unless, of course, the price of copper goes up to make its resale value worth it? Otherwise, no they are simply going to leave it, aren’t they?

When VM migrates customers to fibre they will pull the corresponding coax out, so eventually only fibre will remain. Some locations are already at the situation where new customers cannot be connected due to blocked ducts.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993