cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Relocation Includes Digging?

TonyBu
Tuning in

So just spoke to customer services and booked in a move of the cable going into the house as its on the wrong side for its use case. It was confirmed by the customer service representative that the technician showing up on the day will be digging the new trench required for the cable move all I have to do is tell them where I need it.

I am now skeptical this is the case, is anyone able to confirm this will actually happen or should I just cancel the appointment given it will be a waste of time if the technician isn't actually going to dig the new trench.

21 REPLIES 21

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When they came to "dig" the trench for my repull, it was just a case of standing on the spade and wedging the sods apart a bit.  I would say the cable ( no conduit btw) was about 50mm under the sods.  Not what I would call a trench, but it did the job in the end.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

My drive will take a little more than that to dig enough for a cable, it's gravel ontop of compacted clayish soil and there are two strips of concrete that are used for parking the car on that they'll have to go under, so really hoping I'm not taking a day off for no reason and the technician will get there and tell me it's not possible 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@TonyBu wrote:

My drive will take a little more than that to dig enough for a cable, it's gravel ontop of compacted clayish soil and there are two strips of concrete that are used for parking the car on that they'll have to go under, so really hoping I'm not taking a day off for no reason and the technician will get there and tell me it's not possible 

if a normal tech has been booked you dont stand a chance of that being done - it takes them all their time to bury a cable under soil so your drive will not be disturbed on the day - even if they have put it out to sub contractors i think you will be told its not possible on the day

Tony.
Sacked VIP

No idea what technician has been booked, haven't even had am appointment confirmation yet

What I don't want happening is them coming out and then charging me because the work can't be done

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The tech that comes won't be able to do this, we will only be able to rerute the cable from your existing omni box.  You'll need another visit for a repeller to redo the cable

Exactly what I don't want happening, 6 hours waiting for someone to get back to me on messages and even confirming they could do the digging, knew it was a load of lies. What a waste of time 

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

They won't charge you, but they will waste your time because a tech booked to move the service will not dig anything.

May keep the appointment and discuss it with the technician that comes, maybe he can help getting the right service booked

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think ‘trench’ is too much to expect from VM. They just make a slit in the ground and pop they cable in.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2