cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use my own DNS

mrthrt
Tuning in

I'm using a Hub 5x. I'd like to set the DHCP up to give out my own DNS IP addresses rather than the virgin ones however this looks to not be possible.

I'd also like to use my own IP subnet instead of 192.168.0.0/24. This also looks not to be possible.

A 'fix' would be to set the Hub 5x in modem mode and then to use my own firewall (probably pf sense) but again this does not look to be possible.

I THINK the only fix would be a firmware update but any advice could be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Provided Double NAT is not an issue ... one can use a 3rd Party Router to create the required LAN range with the 3rd Party Router's DHCP server returning IP's for a local DNS Server such as Unbound or Bind.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Legend

Provided Double NAT is not an issue ... one can use a 3rd Party Router to create the required LAN range with the 3rd Party Router's DHCP server returning IP's for a local DNS Server such as Unbound or Bind.

Good answer (marked as helpful) but until I know there is no other solution I'd prefer to swerve the double NAT - I will on occasion be accessing the internal LAN via a VPN and double NAT has the potential to create all kinds of pain.

Client62
Legend

Not having a Hub 5x I don't know if it is possible to disable its DHCP server & replace it with one of your own.

One can install a local DNS server & manually configure the hosts to use it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@mrthrt wrote:

Good answer (marked as helpful) but until I know there is no other solution I'd prefer to swerve the double NAT - I will on occasion be accessing the internal LAN via a VPN and double NAT has the potential to create all kinds of pain.

Yes but its better having your LAN on your LAN then being on VM LAN

---------------------------------------------------------------