cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

MxdnesS
Joining in

is there difference if you connect ethernet to a router or if you connect it to a wifi spot? or will you have the same ping while you play games on xbox or playststion?

3 REPLIES 3

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet will always be better for gaming.

”As an example, we tested our Wi-Fi 6 network against a Cat6 ethernet. We ran four tests on each, and found the average ping of the wired connection was 16 ms with a jitter of 7 ms. The Wi-Fi connection had an average ping of 60 ms, with a jitter of 20 ms. That would present a very noticeable difference in game.”

https://www.howtogeek.com/217463/wi-fi-vs.-ethernet-how-much-better-is-a-wired-connection/#:~:text=A....

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with a Hub 3. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Scott is correct... my lad is a serious online gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. He ran many checks as Scott suggested and got the same outcome. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go - run cable from the Hub to the console location

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think you are asking if you connect an Ethernet cable to the hub or connect an Ethernet cable to a VM WiFi pod. Ethernet to to hub will always be better, Ethernet connected to a pod will just be slightly better than vanilla WiFi. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2