cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi disconnect/re-connect

eb03
Joining in

Same as many others here. I had perfect internet until a few months ago, then I randomly started getting "you have no internet". I would disconnect and re-connect and it would be all fine again, literally 30 seconds later. Over time the time frame between these disconnects and re-connects has shortened and is making working from home almost impossible.

If I'm lucky if there are no issues in 1 day but if I have 1 too many tabs open or god forbid a teams call, it is likely the wi-fi will drop 2 or 3 times during that time. Sometimes I physically reset the router, wait 20 mins and come back but this doesn't resolve it, sometimes I turn it on & off again. There are times I don't bother with the disconnect/reconnect and just ride it out and it can take 10-20 mins for the internet to resolve itself. I know it's a wi-fi issue as I have plugged in directly to the router (for a short time) and found it working, I've also gone into the office and not had any issues whilst there (not a laptop issue).

I have called 2 or 3 times and they say there are "monitoring", it's been a while since I called but the issues are still occurring. Issues are always particularly bad if using Teams. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/80a46f1e6ea83482f9104ca263a18de550361a8f

Here is a link to my BQM, surprisingly the monitor doesn't look that bad, but oh I can tell you the number of calls on teams I get and I have to switch to my phone! Please help!  

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Oh my, MS Teams it sure is a clunker or a platform.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi eb03, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your WiFi connection. Checking things here, your hub is online and the power and signal levels are all optimal. 

We’ve detected high levels of wireless interference within your home which is affecting wireless performance. Wireless interference can be caused by the signals coming from other routers or any electrical devices in close proximity. This interference can affect the speed & stability of the wireless signal.

When the Hub powers on it will run a scan to see which of the wireless channels is least congested and set itself to that channel. For this reason, performing the occasional reboot of the Hub will ensure that the best possible channel is being used at the time. I can see your hub has been online for over 7 days so it's worth giving this a reboot to refresh things. 

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• > Out in the open
  • > Next to the TV not behind it
  • > Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • > Away from baby monitors and cordless phones
  • > Away from microwaves

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. If a WiFi Pod will help, the app will give you the option of adding this. You can view more information on that here.

Please keep us posted on how things go and we're here if you need further help.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

eb03
Joining in

Thank you, are you able to advise the best way to reboot? I will try moving the router but we're limited in where we can move it due to the length of cable. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM can supply a pre made cable of up to 3 metres in length for moving the Hub.  If that is not enough, then it's a £25 non fault call out fee to reposition the Hub to a more suitable location for you.

Failing this, buy your own Wifi solution to keep if/when you change ISP.  Have a look at the Wifi 6 Mesh solutions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey eb03

The best way to reboot the Hub would be to switch it off at the plug socket, for at least 30 seconds, then switch it back on. The Hub will power up again and this might take up to five minutes.

If you need any further help, just let us know. 

Beth