cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi - More than one channel?

MHH2772
Tuning in

Hello,

We have a new Hub 3.0 (that's what it says on the base) and I'm experiencing occasional problems with network printing which didn't occur with the old hub. We have a very old house with thick stone walls so we use three TP-Link Deco units throughout to form a mesh system. We also have an HP wireless printer.

Our network is named, for example: VM1234567, but occasionally the main desktop computer, which connects to Wi-Fi via a TP-Link USB dongle, connects to a network that it names as VM1234567 2 and when this happens it cannot 'see' the printer. I have to 'forget' the network, restart the computer and reconnect to get back to VM1234567.

Is my desktop seeing and connecting to a second channel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

One assumes looking at the available Wi-Fi SSIDs with your mobile phone
you can see both VM1234567 and VM1234567 2

You don't mention if the Hub 3 is in Router or Modem mode - so perhaps the Hub 3 and / or the Deco units are configured with a split SSID ?

Also check the Wi-Fi configuration on the Deco units - if present, make sure "AP Isolation" is Disabled.

We have an Epson printer we tried with Wi-Fi but it was forever not being found so we
connected via the 10/100 network adaptor and now it is super reliable for laptops & mobiles.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

One assumes looking at the available Wi-Fi SSIDs with your mobile phone
you can see both VM1234567 and VM1234567 2

You don't mention if the Hub 3 is in Router or Modem mode - so perhaps the Hub 3 and / or the Deco units are configured with a split SSID ?

Also check the Wi-Fi configuration on the Deco units - if present, make sure "AP Isolation" is Disabled.

We have an Epson printer we tried with Wi-Fi but it was forever not being found so we
connected via the 10/100 network adaptor and now it is super reliable for laptops & mobiles.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As Client62 said... is your Hub3 in normal mode or in router mode using the Deco's router (better!) ?

What was your previous Hub?  Was it a Superhub2 by any chance ?  By default they broadcast two SSID's as standard - one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz.  The Hub3 combines the two onto one SSID and this can cause issues on 2.4GHz only devices (many printers!).

Once we know more we can suggest some "fixes" to try.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

MHH2772
Tuning in

Thanks for the suggestions. I've now put my Hub3 into modem mode (solid magenta light) and we're using wi-fi through the Deco units. The desktop does not 'see' VM123456 2 any more and all seems OK except that my desktop still thinks that the HP OfficeJet Pro 9200 is constantly offline. Every other laptop in the house can see it and print to it!

I've uninstalled/installed/restarted everything in that never-ending doomloop, which only resulted in the desktop not even being able to 'find' the printer on the network! Very frustrating as it used to work without a hitch until I moved the computer from one room to another. I'm going to try plugging the desktop directly into the 'master' Deco with a 3m Cat 7 ethernet cable to see if that helps.

Well, that seems to have worked! Connecting the desktop via an ethernet cable (it's now physically close to the Hub3 and the 'master' Deco) resulted in a significant increase in connection speed and the immediate identification of and connection to a now-working HP printer. Happy days! 

Hello MHH2772.

Looks like our amazing Community members have beat us to it and resolved your Printer issue.

If you need anything else at all. Please pop back on here and we promise get back to you a bit sooner.

Take care 

Gareth_L