cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIfi has no valid IP configuration

Jhardwick
Joining in

Hi everyone,

I've been without internet on my PC since Thursday. I've tried flushing the DNS, setting a manual DNS, renewing the IP and Winsock. I've even tried reinstalling the operating system, drivers and bios. My PC will connect to the network both wireless and wired but it won't connect to the internet. Everytime I do IP renew it says that it found an IP that is already in use. However my pool size goes up to 200. I'm really not sure what's causing this. 

53 REPLIES 53

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

I'm not sure we can resolve this with a standard solution.  Because you can tether, you may be up for obtaining an AP and bridging it to the Hitron.  You should be able to connect that way and it will prove that the Hitron is misbehaving.

Another solution, which I would always use if I had the business broadband is to put the Hitron into modem mode, attach your own router and take it from there.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Unfortunately I'm in a position where the landlord is the account holder for the broadband and the router and so I can't make any changes to it. I contacted them about the internet asking them to speak to the ISP and they told me that the problem has to be my computer so I have to take my PC to get fixed

If you can tether, then it's not your PC, imo.  You know that, of course.  However, you can add your own AP to the Hitron.

Btw, noting your IP address 192.168.0.62, it's clear that DHCP is working.  On the PC, is the DNS set to take from the provider?

I've tried automatic DNS and setting it to something like 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Wireshark ARP with a static IP 

run admin CMD  ARP -d 

ping and ARP -a

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jhardwick
Joining in

One thing I've noticed is that if I connect by ethernet then I get a connection for a few seconds. Presumably this is before every other wireless device starts to request a lease 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

As you'd know, it shouldn't release your lease unless the lease time was set to a few seconds.  I presume there is no typo in the Hitron DHCP LEASE TIME setting.

Jhardwick
Joining in

Lease time should be fine. Even IP config says the lease should be available for 2 weeks. Yet I immediately get kicked off it even if I reserve that IP and Address in the DHCP config 

Jhardwick
Joining in

Is there a way to contact a virgin engineer without being the account holder? I need them to come look at this because we're all out of ideas and the account holder won't budge 

Client62
Legend

Please share the ipconfig/all from your computer.  
Don't redact any of it as it is all on your side of the LAN totally harmless info.