cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin IP address black listed

MD_UK
Joining in

After months of bounced back emails to my own domain email address and multiple conversations with my email hosting company, I have discovered my virgin IP address is black listed causing the issue. Spoke to Virgin technical support for 40 minutes and got absolutely nowhere, the worst support I have ever encountered, he knew nothing, all he kept saying was "yes there is a connection issue in your area", really virgin?

So I need a replacement hub with a new IP it would seem, can any Virgin person help please?

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to track down why your i.p has been blocked - is it on a blacklist perhaps?

https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check

If you move the Hub into "modem"mode it will be assigned a new ip address and you can see if you are then unblocked.  But going back to normal mode will restore the first ip address.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for reaching out to us @MD_UK, and welcome back to our Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of the issues experienced with IP address you've been assigned on our services.

Can you please confirm if you've been able to review the advice offered by @jbrennand to see if you can understand why this may have been blocked?

Do you also have the ability to place the hub in modem mode and see if you are then unblocked?

Thanks

David_Bn

unisoft
Well-informed

"own domain email address" - assuming this means your own domain name and Mail MX records with hosting company or your own nameservers. Have you setup up DKIM/DMARC on your DNS TXT records?

Google have upped the requirement for emails to Gmail and MS to resolve spoofing of email addresses.

Sender Policy Framework (SPF): Specifies the servers and domains that are authorized to send email on behalf of your organization.
DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM): Adds a digital signature to every outgoing message, which lets receiving servers verify the message actually came from your organization.
Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC): Lets you tell receiving servers what to do with outgoing messages from your organization that don’t pass SPF or DKIM.

Google have explained it here:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2466580?hl=en

DMARC in more detail here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC

If you put into modem mode, you'll get a new 'dynamic' IP address. If its still fails, then check the above. It probably more simplistic than above, but its good to be aware of changes happening in industry over email sending...

HI David

Thanks for your response. After several very frustrating hours it appears that my modem is unable to enter modem mode, I get a red light and it crashes requiring a pin reset to reboot.

I've been told my IP is an old one that has been black listed before it was assigned to me.

I hope this helps, please advise further?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Mark

Client62
Legend

Hub 3 displays Magenta bar when in Modem mode, that colour does look Red to some folk's eyes.

Hi @MD_UK 

Have you followed the first reply from jbrennand, to see why the IP has been blacklisted?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Yes and I've checked and I have the correct settings including DMARC settings, I have had no trouble sending to Google.

What's the solution here please? I have been told I need a new hub?

And the light was very red on my hub when I tried modem mode and crashed several times for over half an hour.

Thanks for your help