cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 4 Modem mode - Tp Link Omada

logan55
Joining in

Does anyone have any information on how I can put the router into modem mode and use the TP Link ER605 router to pass through the traffic?

I have set the Virgin hub into modem mode and entered the virgin hubs mac address into the ER605 as this seems to be required to get a WAN connection.

Upon doing this and the WAN showing as online however, it's not passing through the traffic from the Virgin hub to the ER605 thus not assigning IP addresses to my devices and the ER605 isn't getting an internet connection, I have been at this for days to no avail.

Virgin wants to charge me for technical support and to change settings which I don't understand as the feature is built into their hub.

I do not see why it's being so awkward (is the light on the Virgin hub supposed to go a different colour in modem mode) because it just stays white.

Any help will be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect just a PC to the hub and change to modem mode get this working you may need to power off hub for 2mins or unplug replug ethernet cable.

Then connect PC to your router and use MAC clone to copy PC MAC to router and connect router to hub and should work.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You do not need to play around with MAC addresses to get a WAN connection, but you must follow a set sequence to set up modem mode.

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@logan55 wrote:

<Snip>

I have set the Virgin hub into modem mode and entered the virgin hubs mac address into the ER605 as this seems to be required to get a WAN connection.

Not necessary to do this.

Upon doing this and the WAN showing as online however, it's not passing through the traffic from the Virgin hub to the ER605 thus not assigning IP addresses to my devices and the ER605 isn't getting an internet connection, I have been at this for days to no avail.

In Modem mode there will be no DHCP from the Hub, as your ER605 will be doing all the routing. The Hub will just be bridging to the WAN.

See inline replies and good advice from @Tudor     ER605 WAN link should be as below screenshot from the TP-Link emulator

Dynamic_IP.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @logan55 

Welcome to community forums 

Sorry to hear that you're having issues setting up your 3rd party equipment. Though we aren't able to support 3rd party set ups, I can see that our helpful VIP's and community members have given some great support in hopes to resolve this for you. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi, sorry I am late to reply to this but I only just got my new ER605 and seem to be having similar issues. I have a superhub 3, which is in modem mode already. It works with my old (and unreliable, hence the change) D-Link Router but I wanted to replace it with an ER605. The image you posted shows I should be connecting to the router as Dynamic IP (which matches most of the info I have seen online) however it is unable to connect when I do that. I am not sure if I have a damaged unit or I am just not configuring it properly.

Did you reboot the HUB after swapping over the routers?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Make sure the VM hub is the LAST item powered on.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2