Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pod configuration for 2.4GHz only?

scubamikes
Joining in

I have a problem with my wireless.
Scenario:
I have recently updated my router to a Hub 5.
I have a number of wifi connected devices which only work on the 2.4GHz band.
The connection strength is very poor for some of them.
I have ordered and received a Black Pod to increase the coverage to solve this.

However, for the pod to connect to the hub, it apparently needs both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands to have the same name & password.
I need to be connected to the 2.4GHz band on my phone to configure the end device.
I tried seperating the two bands and giving them separate names to identify, but the pod doesn't then connect.

The Pod connects fine when both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands are enabled, but my phone automatically picks up the 5GHz band.
I have tried disabling the 5GHz band on the hub, but then the pod refuses to sync with the hub.
I've done multiple resets of both hub and pod with the same results.

I only need the 2.4GHz band from the pod, so the 5GHz band can safely be disabled at the pod level.
Is there a way to use the pod on a single band, disabling the 5GHz band at the pod level, rather than the hub level?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Alessandro Volta

There have been repeated reports that suggest the Hub 5 does not pass network traffic between the 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi bands leading to failure to reach 2.4GHz printers from 5GHz laptops / mobiles.

Have you tried disabling the 5GHz Wi-Fi on the VM Hub 5 for a period,
If just the 2.4GHz band is operated it may allow enough time to configure the 2.4GHz devices.

Hi Client62,

I need the pod connected to allow the device to see the wifi network with sufficient signal strength.

I have tried disabling the 5GHz band on the Hub, but then the Pod loses connection and will not reconnect.

This was left overnight, but was still "lost connection" (Pulsing white light) the following morning.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If the black VM Pod was replaced or supplemented with say a RE450 / AC1750 Wi-Fi Repeater
you could broadcast split SSIDs on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz repeated channels.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re450/ 

Check out the PDF of the manual to see how that is configured.

fibreking
On our wavelength

Option 2: Temporarily run a long Ethernet cable to the black pod (other stairs or wherever), disable 5Ghz, do the device config. Remove the Ethernet cable, re-enable 5Ghz?

Client62
Alessandro Volta

It might work, but as soon as you return to normal running your mobile will loose contact with the 2.4GHz devices.

Hello scubamikes

Sorry to hear of the wireless network issues regarding devices and frequencies, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

Have you been able to try any of the suggestions provided by the community members? The Hub 5 should be able to seamlessly pass devices between bands as long as the SSID's and passwords haven't been split or changed?

Rob

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try one of these as its 2.4Ghz only https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1115138?clickPR=plp:1:8

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks