cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Wi-Fi PC connection

specialbeat
Joining in

Hi there. We have a new pc (Tower) in the house that does not have Wi-Fi and is quite a way from the router so not possible to use a cable.

I asked virgin helpline and they have said that it's basically not their concern.

What do I do? I expected better than this from Virgin. 

6 REPLIES 6

fibreking
On our wavelength

The simplest answer (if you have WiFi signal by the computer) is buy a ‘USB WiFi Adapter’. Available for £15, but pay a little more for one that is ‘WiFi 6’ to get the best connection to Hub 5 or 5x.

fibreking
On our wavelength

Example: Archer TX20U Plus

Client62
Legend

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@specialbeat wrote:

Hi there. We have a new pc (Tower) in the house that does not have Wi-Fi and is quite a way from the router so not possible to use a cable.

I asked virgin helpline and they have said that it's basically not their concern.

What do I do? I expected better than this from Virgin. 

What is it to do with Virgin?

If I don't have an electrical socket where I want one I don't expect my electricity supplier to install one. They service the house with electricity, but I am responsible for everything on my side of the meter. The same goes for Broadband wiring. VM only offer basic WiFi extenders anyway. If you want good quality ones, Ethernet wiring or Powerline extenders (using your house wiring as Ethernet), then it is up to you to provide it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@specialbeat wrote:

They are right they got you the hub in the house now you connect to it I suggest a long ethernet cable

1aTTack.de 20m - Cat6 Lan Ethernet Cable Patch Network Cat 6 1000 Mbit/s RJ45 Plug Internet for TV C...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are running a big tower machine don’t chop its legs off by using WiFi. Ethernet Cat6 cable is very easy to run and can be hidden easily. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2