cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbours have Virgin Media Broadband but apparently I can't ?

LarryDavid
Joining in

Hi there, so I'm with EE broadband at the moment and monthly bill has just been hiked, so I'm looking at either a new contract there or shopping around elsewhere. I noticed that Virgin Media cable is available in my area (and would give me faster speeds that I would pay for)....just not at my property! I put a few addresses through the checker last night, and found that people up the road can get it, people down the road can get it, and the flat underneath me can get it! I understand this is probably because how it was done at the time, but surely if my neighbours below can get it (and they indeed have virgin media broadband) then it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that a little tweaking here and there and I can also be a prospective virgin media happy customer! 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

13 REPLIES 13

VM-Jon
Problem sorter

Hi @LarryDavid 

Thank you for reaching out to us here, welcome to the community.

There could be a number of reasons why one property could receive service and not another. It’s very difficult to say without understanding it a little more so I would like to take a look at this for you and see what I can do to help. In order to do so I will need a little bit more detail so I will send you a private message.

Once we have a better understanding we may be able to escalate this to one of our team to resolve for you because we would love to have you as a customer.

Thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Many thanks Jon, appreciate it! 

Hi, I would also like to know why I can not get virgin media but my neighbours can?

Hi @Imdina76 

thank you for joining us here, I’m happy to take a look for you to see what I can do. I will send you a private message for a little bit more detail. 

thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi Jon,

I too have the same issue. My neighbours on either side have Virgin and we are the only property who can’t get it. I’m desperate to get faster speeds as both me and wife work from home often and struggle to get work done when we are both on calls. It’s come to a point where we feel like we have to sell and move out to not let it affect our work let alone our sanity.

Could you please help?

Thanks, Susheel

MasterOfArts1
Joining in

I had the exact same issue few years ago and it turned out it was available after all

My Broadband Ping - MOA Home

Is there no other service providers in your geographical location?

VM used to be one of the best regarding download speed (upload & line quality is another topic) but you should see, if you haven't already FTTP hitting most areas by at least 2025, should have been 2022 but I guess COVID / lockdown had an impact on that like everything els.

Check and see if you can maybe get Cityfibre its via an old PPPoE (UUNET) protocol from like before 2000 but its very efficient regarding IPV4 and FTTP, a very long established standard that works 🥃

My Broadband Ping - MOA Home

There aren’t any that can provide the speed we require. We currently get about 30Mbps which sound like a lot, but we you have two simultaneous video calls with about 80ms latency it never measures up. 
Will check on CityFibre, but I don’t think we live in their area. We have also been considering Starlink, but it was just too expensive for us hat it is and doesn’t really have a major effect on the latency.
Am I crazy to think I need at least <30ms latency to have a reliable video call?

Hey @susheel Thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

I will assist you on this and see if we can your property serviced up.
I will send a private message.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs