cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 vs Hub3 WiFi

Teebee
On our wavelength

Whilst I wait for a fix for my Hub5 install a quick question to save me time testing.

My Hub3 signal was poor upstairs so I bought an Asus RT-AC86U, in the interest of less cables I was wondering if the Hub5 signal is better letting me retire the router.

Baz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

I would not expect significant coverage differences between the various VM Hubs.

Wi-Fi is a two way radio process, the signal from our mobile and laptop can be quite a bit lower than the Hub, often this is the source of the problem.  A problem that needs to be addressed by placing another Wireless Access point or Wireless Repeater in a suitable location.

Looking past the WI-Fi issues, Hub 5 can be very flaky in Router mode but appears very solid as a Modem.

Using the Hub 5 in Modem mode + the Asus RT-AC86U may be the best option for a stable & reliable system.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

BillBudd
Superfast

I had the same dilemma when I received my HUB5.  I decided to retire my TP-Link router and just use the HUB5.  So far so good, I've been running just the HUB5 for over a year now.  I think the signal is better, well that's my impression.

I do not work for VM. Services: 2 x HD TV (+ Sky Sports, TNT sport), x2 Tivo boxes (WiFi) Hub5 1gb, Talk Weekend Phone on IP.

Client62
Legend

I would not expect significant coverage differences between the various VM Hubs.

Wi-Fi is a two way radio process, the signal from our mobile and laptop can be quite a bit lower than the Hub, often this is the source of the problem.  A problem that needs to be addressed by placing another Wireless Access point or Wireless Repeater in a suitable location.

Looking past the WI-Fi issues, Hub 5 can be very flaky in Router mode but appears very solid as a Modem.

Using the Hub 5 in Modem mode + the Asus RT-AC86U may be the best option for a stable & reliable system.

Teebee
On our wavelength

Thank you, I kind of expected that response just trying to avoid unnecessary testing.

Teebee
On our wavelength

A quick update, as I destroyed my network during the fix phase I did do some testing with both SSID's active, the Hub5 came back with a better Db rating on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz so for now I am running without the Asus.

Thanks for the update TeeBee, please keep us up to date with this if there are any further developments or just give us a shout if you need assistance in the future.

Rob