cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x

pandaexpress2
Tuning in

Why does my internet stop working when I turn the dhcp off the hub? I have my own Ubiquiti router and access points and thanks to no modem mode I have set it up on the 192.168.1.0 network but whenever I turn the dhcp server off on the hub my internet completely goes off and no device can connect to the hub or access it and I have to factory reset it.

17 REPLIES 17

Client62
Alessandro Volta

A VM Hub with DHCP Disabled or Enabled remains as IP 192.168.0.1

The Ubiquiti router & DHCP using 192.168.1.0 has moved all the DHCP devices onto a different subnet.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has the Ubiquiti router got a fixed IP address? If not, it should have, then you need DHCP turned on at the Hub5x for your router to get an IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Given VM don't test the settings anything goes

---------------------------------------------------------------

pandaexpress2
Tuning in

Just so you know I know how to set it up its just when I turn the dhcp server off on the hub the internet goes off and there is no connection. Yes I assigned a fixed ip address on the ubiquiti router. It just seems like the hub loses all access to virgin servers when I turn it off. 

I'm not trying to change the ip of the hub as I know you can't, I want modem mode but since it's not available yet I have to set it up like how I am, I want the ubiquiti router to be the dhcp server and have all the device connections.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From what I can see reported on the Hub5x, it was a rushed release and it does not surprise me that there are other problems other than the no modem mode. Out of curiosity, are you doing double NAT or just using the router in bridge mode? I’m asking because the latest Ubiquiti software, might still be EA, has lots to help with double NAT.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I double nat because the only issue I have found is icloud relay won't work and there is only me in my house that uses that so I can work around it. The handoff and meshing doesn't work if its not in router mode. I reserved the ip address and put it in the dmz and make sure UPNP is on both routers and it seems ok. I believe I'm on the latest released firmware (not beta) but will check, don't fancy putting beta firmware on it though.

I didn't know anything about the different hubs as virgin only came to my area in December and I was sick of waiting for open reach to "switch on" fttp for me even though they have put the cable in (work was done before virgin), I would of settled for a lower speed if I would of got an older hub but from what I read I could put it in modem mode but obviously can't with the 5x.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You should be able to connect the Ubiquiti by its LAN port to the hub and assign it a static address on the same subnet (but outside the hub's reservation range) such as 192.168.0.2. The subnet mask must be the same as the hub's which is 255.255.255.0. You keep the hub's DHCP server on but disable the Ubiquiti's DHCP server. Now reboot the Ubiquiti and all should be good.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

No because then the Ubiquiti router isn't in router mode and meshing and handoff doesn't work so it needs to be on a separate network. I'm not asking for help on how to set it up I just want to know why turning off a simple feature disconnects my internet when it shouldn't be the case.