cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 router mode and Deco X50-POE

chris3000
Joining in

Hi. I have had a hub 5 installed and it works fine on its own providing wifi and a signal to my TV and alarm system by ethernet cat 6. However my network of two Deco X50-POEs don't receive any internet signal except for a moment when the main deco receives it during setting up then seconds later loses it. When I reset the hub or restart the decos the main deco shows a green light but as soon as i connect to its network the light goes red.

After seeking advice from TPIink I have wired my main deco by ethernet cat 6 cable to the hub 5 via a POE injector and then daisy chained the other deco to the main deco via a second POE injector also by cat 6. This according to TPlink is router mode and enables ethernet backhaul. I have tried this set up with the hub 5 in both router and modem modes and nothing works. My preference would be to keep the hub 5 in router mode so I can still connect my TV and alarm from its LAN sockets and avoid rewiring with a switch. I understand that this is not possible with the hub 5 in modem mode as only one LAN socket works.

I would like to ask the community if there is any advice or opinion you would be willing to share. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Have you tried via the included power adapter instead of POE?

Yes, you should be able to piggy back between the Decos over ethernet, even when in access point mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

Have you tried the Deco's in access point mode?

Thanks for the response. Yes have done that too with no luck. Does the backhaul through the ethernet cable work in that mode too?

Client62
Legend

If the Deco are connected via the Hub 5's troubled 2.5Gb/s port try using a 1Gb/s port of the Hub 5

Have you tried via the included power adapter instead of POE?

Yes, you should be able to piggy back between the Decos over ethernet, even when in access point mode.

Thanks for the response. Yep done that too.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Get a router use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

It took me a while to find the power adaptor. I used it and set up the network and got a connection. Then I used the POE injector with some patch cables and it worked too. Unfortunatley the Deco doesnt work when its installed in its designated ceiling mounted position with the cable wired through the house. So it looks like the cable or the way the RJ45 sockets or plugs are wired are at fault, Hopefully its not the cable.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like you need to invest in a cable tester.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks