cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 keeps rebooting and very limited upload speed

gadget61
Tuning in

My Hub 4 has been fairly stable since installation (3-4 years or more?) and 2 days ago it started rebooting constantly, and my upload speed has all but disappeared - down to 200-600kbps!  Nothing has changed in the external or internal environment.  VM support tell me that all is fine from their end, while I cannot use my internet connection when it is working for anything other than short messages.  The Support desk suggested that there is interference from an external source, although the router itself is located in a metal cabinet enclosure to prevent that - I don’t use the inbuilt VM Wi-Fi.  The poor speed is experienced by all devices, both wired and on my own Mesh Wi-Fi. The support desk got me to do a factory reset of the router which reinstated the VM WiFi and the problem was seen over that as well. Support desk were unable to resolve after 2 calls, concluding that the problem was with my equipment and network and they offered a charged technician visit to help me “move the router to a better location”, but the location has not been a problem for the last 12 years with Virgin!  They said they would “raise a ticket to IT and monitor for the next 24 hours…  I believe that I will still have the same problem this time tomorrow!

I’ve spotted another similar post here, in which a technician visit was scheduled to resolve the problem, but no further details on the resolution.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @gadget61, and welcome to our Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing on the broadband connection, and in particular the upload speeds.

Can you please place the Hub in modem mode and then run a speed test on the hub with an Ethernet cable, so we can see the full upload speeds entering your home?

Once this has been completed, please provide us with a screenshot of the result and we'll see what diagnostics can be ran and/or if you are in need for an engineer visit.

Thanks,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @gadget61, and welcome to our Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing on the broadband connection, and in particular the upload speeds.

Can you please place the Hub in modem mode and then run a speed test on the hub with an Ethernet cable, so we can see the full upload speeds entering your home?

Once this has been completed, please provide us with a screenshot of the result and we'll see what diagnostics can be ran and/or if you are in need for an engineer visit.

Thanks,

David_Bn

Hi David_bn - Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.  Interestingly, despite being told by the tech support desk that the problem was “in my house and with my equipment” and therefore mine to resolve, about 36 hours after posting this, the equipment burst into life and has been working flawlessly ever since….

Thank you for the update gadget61. We're glad to hear that all is working as it should be. 

Our apologies for how the contact went when you called in.

^Martin