cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dns error

salesy2k6
Joining in

My wifi to all devices upstairs drops out and when i troubleshoot connection it always says DNS error, abs obviously cant change dns in router settings, any ideas ?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

The choice of DNS is not the issue.
The DNS lookups are failing due to lack of Wi-Fi coverage.

Consider what can be done to improve the Wi-Fi signal for upstairs
i.e. add a Wireless Access point or a Wi-Fi Extender.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

The choice of DNS is not the issue.
The DNS lookups are failing due to lack of Wi-Fi coverage.

Consider what can be done to improve the Wi-Fi signal for upstairs
i.e. add a Wireless Access point or a Wi-Fi Extender.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As Client 62 has advised - do this....

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

salesy2k6
Joining in

Been having the wifi issues for months now, its now to the point where we can be sat a couple of feet away from the hub and we still cant connect, my partner works form home and its now gotten that bad, her employer has said if she keeps having connection issues then they will have to terminate her employment.

Constantly phoning VM customer services and to say they are useless is an understatement, Im on a volt package and have requested the wifi pods numerous times but none have turned up, never had a confirmation email/text regarding them being sent, when I phone VM they say they will put another request in for them, no offer of an engineer visit or equipment change, wired connections have no issues, and thankyou for the advice but im not verry teccy, and in all fairness i should not have to be, I pay for a service so i should receive the help i need, they are quick enough to take my money every month.

The big factor here is if my partner ends up loosing her job due to virgins inactions and cant be **bleep** attitude.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Use a cable as a temp measure until you get the Pods sorted out. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A VM person will respond here soon and get your first Pod sorted.

Whether it solves the issue is another matter.  What will solve it permanently is getting your own better quality equipment.  If my employment depended on it... it would be the first purchase I made - a decent Mesh system.

Or, as adduxi said... spend a fiver on a 10/20m run of cat6a ethernet cable and just trail it over the floor from the Hub to the device being used for working from home.   When the work is done done unplug it and roll it up, and put in a drawer until its needed again until the Pod(s) "cure" your wifi issue.

BTW - you didn't say, what Hub model do you have?   There are some changes you can make in its settings that could help sort the wifi issues

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello salesy2k6

It's disappointing to hear of the broadband issues experienced with your wireless network, we understand the frustration and appreciate you taking the time to raise this with us via the forums. Welcome to the community.

From checking the service, all of the spec's and levels appear to be in the ranges we'd expect to see, these are to the Hub and not indicative of the wireless network performance. The speeds available at the Hub show as 656mbps download and 41mbps upload. There haven't been any disconnections since Thursday of last week from the network.

We can see you have spoken to the team earlier today, were they able to help with regards to the wireless network? Let us know.

Rob