cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer bill increase

frglobetrotter
Joining in

Hi, I've joined VM as new customer in mid-January 2024 with a 18 months contract package.

I'm surprised and disappointed to receive an email notice today from April my bill will get an increase- just 2 months after joining the contract (??)

According to VM website it says " if you have recently joined or recontracted and we have informed that you that your annual price rise will take effect from April 2025, you will not receive a price rise in April 2024." 

Can someone from VM review on this please

8 REPLIES 8

FlockWallpaper
Up to speed

When you received your contract documents did it state, as per the second part of the website quote, “and we have informed that you that your annual price rise will take effect from April 2025”?

If it didn’t explicitly state that, then the April 2024 rise is valid, and, I’m afraid they may well hold you to it. Of course, if it did, then VM attempting to hold, you to it, would be breech of contract and won’t fly.

Please, do back and check the contract you agreed to in January, including the small print.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey frglobetrotter,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

Have you been able to get this looked into further since you post yesterday? Does your contract state that your price increase will start from 2024 or 2025?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

golden86
Dialled in

I think the virgin contract says your bill will increase every April.... Doesn't specify 2024 or 2025. 

Also why does the website choose to use very vague wording "recently joined or recontracted". Why not specify a clear date, if you have joined from X date. The O2 website has much clearer wording "If you joined us from 8 February 2024, your price increase will be from April 2025." NOTE: this last sentence is from O2. 

Also can VM please clarify which date is used, so if a customer signs up on 1st Feb on the website, however their installation and service activation date is 1st March. So which date is used?

Good evening golden86

Thanks for your post on this thread.

All new customers sold to on or before Wednesday 7th February 2024 will be subject to a price change in 2024.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

I renewed my contract on the 8th February and have been notified of an increase. I am on the phone to your team and they are saying "sorry" for being told differently when I took the contract out but essentially 'tough luck'.??!!

When you spoke to the team, did they advise if this was due to it being a renewal and not a new customer as to why the price rise is applicable?

Rob

Hi Robert, thanks for the reply.

When I rang to cancel my existing contract I was talked into staying on the same package at £27/month. I explicitly asked the sales agent (presumably there is a recording on file somewhere) if I would be charged an RPI increase in April 2024 and was told 'No', the first one would be in April 2025. On this basis I decided to stay with Virgin.

To then be emailed and told I will be subject to an increase is unacceptable. I rang the call centre this morning and they apologised that the sales agent got it wrong but the increase will still apply. To me this is just completely wrong!

I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you to assist. Check the envelope in the top right of the forum when signed in for the message.

Rob