cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media just won't cancel my contract!!

Ali2017
Tuning in

I have spent hours & hours on the phone, on whatsapp chat and filing formal complaints trying to cancel my contract without success and this is seriously now making me ill with stress and frustration!

I cancelled my contract on 16th March after a lot of effort - refusing multiple attempts to persuade me to take other packages, being placed on hold for 10 minutes at a time etc, being passed from pillar to post - I made it absolutely crystal clear that I just don't need the damn service anymore!! I then subsequently received a further advance notice of billing so I cancelled the direct debit as I had paid up to 8th April and they wanted payment up to 8th May (the service was due to end on 15th April).

I then spent literally hours on WhatsApp chat trying to get them to confirm that the contract was cancelled and demanding to know why they were trying to take payment up to 8th May. I informed them that I had cancelled the DD and asked them to bill me for the period 8th - 15th April and I would pay by card or bank transfer.

The replies I was receiving increasingly made no sense whatsoever, the English was extremely grammatically poor and I didn't understand it and eventually had no option but to terminate the conversation. Obviously, I have kept this as evidence should it be needed!

Following that, I then received a number of unpaid bill notifications by email and text, wanting to take money up to 8th June! The service should've terminated on 15th April. 

I then filed a formal complaint containing all the details - it was closed within 24 hours with a response of "resolution - change of package"! I filed a second formal complaint which was responded to in exactly the same way - it was clear that the body of the complaint hadnt even been read!!

As I am not even in the UK at the moment, my husband then rang them and spoke to a very nice lady called Lisa who apologised profusely and said she would sort it all out and could see the details of all my communications with them and that the service should indeed have terminated on 15th April. She said to ignore the overdue payment notifications, that I would receive no further demands and that I would receive a revised bill for the period 8th - 15th April.

This morning, despite all her assurances, I have received a further text telling me to contact them urgently regarding my unpaid bill and demanding £200.25 to cover the period up to June 8th.

I am actually at my wits end with this - my anxiety is at an all time high and I have wasted hours of my time trying to deal with this - I can see from this forum that it appears to be a very common theme. How the hell are Virgin Media being allowed to continue operating in this despicable manner?

My husband is of the opinion that we should now just ignore every communication and let them send the bailiff, take us to court or whatever but I don't want to risk a CCJ / dessimated credit score. 

I've spent enough time trying to sort this out and I'm not prepared to make any more complaints to them because they're ignored anyway. 

Has anyone who has had this problem managed to resolve it and how?? 

24 REPLIES 24

I am having the exact same issue with Virgin Media. We just stopped paying the bill and now they just keep sending bills through the post. 2023 (around twenty phone calls, twenty online forms and it all ends the same) sick of this. What legal action do I need to take to stop these idiots hassling us?

Ali2017
Tuning in

The only advice I can offer is to keep ringing and ringing until you get through to the English call centre. It really is pot luck whether the call goes to the English centre or the off shore centre. Lisa eventually managed to sort this out for us and was absolutely lovely but the months it took to deal with it nearly gave me a nervous breakdown!!

Hi @Happychappy89 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you've had issues with billing after cancelling your services.  And sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing you.  I would like to take a look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee can you pls contact me privately via messages also. We cancelled our virgin media contract and were told we'd have to pay a fine however in this closing off period we ended up losing internet another 6 times. When we spoke to your WhatsApp call center two sets of people agreed they'd credit our account and it should 'arrive in 72 hours' on the 14th February and we've still received nothing and are receiving these huge final bills. The final bill HAS been paid but this is the cancellation fee which we were told we'd no longer need to pay due to the countless issues

Hi Keeza90 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting, welcoming you onto the community forum with big virtual arms 🤗.

Sorry to see you are having issues with cancelling your contract and your exit fees ☹.

When you was having issues with your internet, did you have any engineers out at all?

I can further investigate this for you 🧐.

I will have to private message you, please watch out for the envelope ✉.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide