cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent - messed about for over 6 months, where is my compensation?

Dannysingh8
On our wavelength

I placed an order for broadband on August 10th 2023 after 2 Virgin Media reps knocked on my door claiming we can have this service installed without any external work behind carried out - so I agreed to go ahead and was given an install date of 30th August. One of the reps left his name and number so if i needed to contact him he can help. His name was Aashis - [MOD EDIT: PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]

Later on that day, I received another text message stating that before installing, their needs to be some external work done at my property. I spoke with Virgin on the phone to clarify this as I was told by the 2 reps no work is required. The person on the phone mentioned that is not the case and I would need permission from a few neighbours (some are currently using VM services) to sign a Wayleave from. 

No problem - after a few weeks I had managed to get this signed by all 4 neighbours before sending this to the wayleave team via email.

During this process, my order was cancelled so I called to re-order on 25th October and explain all Wayleaves have been signed. I again received a text message on the same day stating external work will be carried out before my install which has been moved to 26th January 2024.

On the 22nd January (4 days before install day), I received a text message again saying extra essential work outside my property is required and they have moved my install day to 10th February.

As you guessed, on the 5th February, i got the same text message saying my install has now moved to 1st March. I also received an email saying:

We’re really sorry, but it looks like there’s been a delay with your installation. Our team’s working hard to get you up and running as soon as possible. For some installations we’ll need to check we have all the permissions or permits needed to complete our work. If we need to reschedule your appointment, we’ll send the details of your new slot through separately. Remember, someone over 18 will need to be home for us to install your services.

Once the installation’s complete, you may be eligible for a bill credit as part of Virgin Media's automatic compensation scheme. We’ll update you on this after the installation is sorted.

I must have called Virgin Media 4/5 times over the months (being on hold for nearly an hour every time) asking why they keep pushing the install back but was not given a definitive answer. Every time I asked will the install definitely go ahead on the next day - they promised yes it will.

And to top it all off - I receive an email on the 9th February saying my order has been cancelled - with no explanation as to why. I called customer service to give me a real reason why I was promised I could have this service, only to be led on for over 6 months and then dropped like a fly? I was told something along the lines of 'the work was not possible as it was deemed too big of a job' - are you kidding me? The neighbours have VM installed and I was told the outside work would only require digging roughly 10 metres where there are VM cables on the road that connect to their homes.

I want to know how much compensation am I owed and how do I escalate this request? I have all the texts/emails as proof if you need to see this.

Would really appreciate someones help as this has been an extremely stressful and tiresome journey therefore I want what I deserve.

Thank you.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You will be entitled to compensation from the first firm installation date that you were given, until 30 days after the date it was cancelled.  You'll need to keep copies of all the correspondence including the wayleave clearance.

The first step is to start a formal complaint with a demand for payment of the amount you have calculated from the link below.  They will very likely argue this with various excuses and make a derisory offer.  If you don't get to a satisfactory outcome after eight weeks you can take it to the Ombudsman.

Come back here and report progress. There are people here who are familiar with the process and can advise you further.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Dannysingh8 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear of your installation delay and concerns. 

Just to confirm, has the installation now been cancelled due to the what you mention was last advised, that 'the work was not possible as it was deemed too big of a job', or has your installation been complete or is still moving forward? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley,

My order was cancelled.

This is the email I received:

IMG_6984.png

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You will be entitled to compensation from the first firm installation date that you were given, until 30 days after the date it was cancelled.  You'll need to keep copies of all the correspondence including the wayleave clearance.

The first step is to start a formal complaint with a demand for payment of the amount you have calculated from the link below.  They will very likely argue this with various excuses and make a derisory offer.  If you don't get to a satisfactory outcome after eight weeks you can take it to the Ombudsman.

Come back here and report progress. There are people here who are familiar with the process and can advise you further.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Dannysingh8
On our wavelength

Thank you for this jpeg1.

Regarding the calculations, would I start from the first installation date I received (30th August 2023) or the first date after Wayleave forms were signed (Jan 26th 2024)?

Also, because Virgin cancelled the contract - I believe they have to pay an additional 30 days beyond the cancellation/cease date?

How do I make a formal complaint?

Couldn’t find anything on that link.

Thanks for confirming this @Dannysingh8 

We're able to help raise your complaint at our side if you still need. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley