cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMFS debt collectors for mysterious bill from 2021

Kez-23
Tuning in

Hi, I have today received phone calls, emails and now text messages from IMFS debt collectors claiming I have unpaid bills from virgin media broadband dating back to may 2021. We moved house and I cancelled our package as VM couldn't provide a service at the new address. I thought I paid all bills and i also sent back our router. I received no correspondence from VM about unpaid bills, so v confused. I phoned VM today and they told me its probably a scam and to ignore, but having googled the companies name, it looks genuine. They are telling me virgin media have sold the debt to them & passed on all my personal info to them. VM are saying they can't email me confirmation that my closing account is cleared with no outstanding bills. 

Looking for a speedy resolution pls as v stressed and being hounded by the so called debt collectors 

45 REPLIES 45

After a few messages this morning asking for my information Virgin 'cannot' discuss further. So a debt has been assigned to me that i have no knowledge of, with no explanation. They wont discuss it other than to say a debt has been sold on. They have never phoned, texted, or emailed me in the last 22 months. So what debt? I have never owed anyone a penny in my life. This is a huge scam. This is not about the money. its less than 60 quid. its now about the principal. I'm not just going to be robbed. I will be spreading the word about VM dodgy practices and writing to their CEO Lutz as well as all legal options. Worse part is when i moved we took out anther contract with VM which i shall be cancelling as soon as legally able to

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @problems1212 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about his issue.

I am going to drop you a private message now to collect some more information, please keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@coops67 wrote:

After a few messages this morning asking for my information Virgin 'cannot' discuss further. So a debt has been assigned to me that i have no knowledge of, with no explanation. They wont discuss it other than to say a debt has been sold on. They have never phoned, texted, or emailed me in the last 22 months. So what debt? I have never owed anyone a penny in my life. This is a huge scam. This is not about the money. its less than 60 quid. its now about the principal. I'm not just going to be robbed. I will be spreading the word about VM dodgy practices and writing to their CEO Lutz as well as all legal options. Worse part is when i moved we took out anther contract with VM which i shall be cancelling as soon as legally able to

Coops63, it's very strange isn't it that we received no communication, polite reminders etc then out of the blue there is a debt. I'm very disappointed that VM are taking absolutely no responsibility in this.

Did you receive a final closing bill? I realised this was never issued to me, so incompetence on their part. But monies were also never collected via direct debit. 

Very stressful and I hope you find a resolution soon. 

coops67
On our wavelength
no i remember doing it all over the phone. Guy said all sorted. never thought anything more about it apart from i had to end the router back which i did

coops67
On our wavelength

just to give an update. I contacted JCIA as per Virgin media suggestion almost a week ago and have had no response from them at all. I am still getting notifications and emails from crs, mostly recently a few minutes ago. They are now threatening to escalate further if i dont pay up 

coops67
On our wavelength

the number they have given this time to call has changed again. This time its [REMOVED] A quick google shows it's a scam number.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coops67 wrote:

just to give an update. I contacted JCIA as per Virgin media suggestion almost a week ago and have had no response from them at all. I am still getting notifications and emails from crs, mostly recently a few minutes ago. They are now threatening to escalate further if i dont pay up 

If you have not already done so do speak with Citizen Advice and seek their help with getting the debt collection to respond to your queries and to stop harassing you until then.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

@coops67 wrote:

Hi @coops67, are JCIA harrassing you, or have they passed the debt to another agency? The reason I ask, is because in my case it was another company calling & harassing me on behalf of JCIA. When I phoned IMFS they said they would collate some more info about the debt and stop all calls, texts, emails, letters etc. It seems to have done the trick... for now. The debt hasn't been resolved. But reading previous posts, I believe Virgin never properly closed my account, similar to your situation, I made a phone call to VM and the guy on the other end said there was nothing further to do. Unknown to me, I should have received a closing bill. This never appeared, and the next thing I know 2 years later I have a mysterious debt. Its very disappointing that Virgin media are not cooperating or taking any responsibility for their part in this big mess.

coops67
On our wavelength

No JCIA havent contacted me its crs sending messages on behalf of them. I emailed JCIA as per VM suggestion and been waiting to see if they contact me.

coops67
On our wavelength

To further update. Been speaking with citizens advice bureau. i gave them the code that was given on the messages to me. They said the code supplied is an incorrect CRS format. They just advised to ignore and delete/block everything where possible and dont respond in any way