Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dad left household but WiFi contract in his name?

Joining in

Without going too much into detail, we have lost contact with our dad and are unable to reach him in regards to the Virgin Media bill. The contract is in his name and the account is under his email.

Has anyone been through similar and if so, what did you do?

I was thinking of creating a new account and signing up for a new Virgin media package and letting Virgin Media know of the situation.


Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If he has ceased paying the bill and is in arrears I think you can get VM to terminate his contract and then you could get a new one. If he is still paying, with a bit of luck, you should be able to get a second connection at the address. A VM staff member will be able to advise, best to wait 2 or 3 days for a response from them.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kinmo 
Welcome to the community forums.
Sorry to hear of your situation and concerns. 
I believe the best cause of action would be to process a 'goneaway'. This is when the account holder has moved out of the home and new tenants/homeowners have already moved in and are looking to acquire an account and services. This process would also work in your circumstance. 

We aren't able to package new customer deals through the community, so best to call our new sales team on 0800 183 1234 and they'll be able to process you a new deal and contract in your name and start the goneaway process. 


Any further issues or concerns, please do let us know and we'll look to assist further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent