cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged early cancellation fee on transfer

benbristow
Tuning in

Good morning

I've recently sold my flat and moved back in with family temporarily whilst I look for a new house.

As part of the moving process I rang Virgin Media to cancel my account. Got through to a friendly British fellow. As I was in contract at the time he laid out two options, one being that I paid the early cancellation fee or another that I transferred my package to my parents house (they already had VM but could cancel theirs for free).

To avoid the fee, this has occured now. However, shortly after moving I received a bill for £492.57 which seemed odd. It had the early cancellation fee which makes no sense as I'm still in contract as have just migrated my package to a new address.

I rang Virgin Media again and they told me this was a mistake and I wouldn't be charged this.

A few days later my Starling Bank shows a pending direct debit for the full amount. I ring up again and get assured this was a mistake and it wouldn't be charged. Since I'm in the process of getting a mortgage I didn't cancel the direct debit in fear of getting a CIFAS marker on my record.

Low and behold I got charged the next week.

I've rang Virgin Media again and managed to get through to a British call centre who told me they've submitted a BACs request and I'd be refunded with a confirmation. Haven't received anything at all.

Raised a formal complaint. Had a few emails from offshore support teams full of waffle. Spoke to the WhatsApp team after being invited to and have just been told a refund is going to be issued but haven't heard anything since.

Please can someone investigate this please? This is getting ridiculous and now I'm being billed the proper amount (2 months for the transfer) so that's starting to add up this month. Why complaints are being handled by offshore teams astounds me and the lack of any direct number to head office is ridiculous. Someone should put this right.

3 REPLIES 3

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for reaching out to us @benbristow, and welcome back to our Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of the issue faced with the early disconnection fees being charged, despite what has been advised.

Check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Thanks

David_Bn

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @benbristow.

I've attempted to respond to your private message but this doesn't seem to be going through.

It looks like you might have not turned on private messaging. 

You can turn on private messaging in your forum profile settings

Thanks

David_Bn 

Hi, sorry, changed the email on my community account and couldn't receive the confirmation email. Fixed now.