cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel and my partner join as new customer

silentg1971
Dialled in

my contract is coming to an end and since virgin have zero interest in giving me better deal after 20 years plus with them .

I am rarely at home anyway with work but if my partner wants virgin services and pays for it herself, can she get the new customer deals

230 REPLIES 230

@vmforumlogin wrote:

Hello everybody interesting thread I thought I would give my experience of today.

I'm out of contract paying £71 for m100 broadband, talk anytime and mix TV.

I rang option for on the 150 number and spoke to salesperson who said I could not have broadband and phone only at £26 per month as advertised to new customers.  Salesperson said Virgin media could only do that for £44 per month.

I got put through to the retentions team with the intention of cancelling contract and giving 30 days notice.

The Virgin media rep offered broadband only at £27 per month.

We settled on m200 broadband, talk weekends and basic TV as advertised picture below for £33 per month on an 18-month contract.

Perfectly happy with that and it seems that Virgin are changing their policy somewhat in these bleek times.

Screenshot_20220920-185103_Chrome.jpg

99% of discounts are random with 1% being made available due to demand or it being a common request. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

@BFULLER1 wrote:

Hi golden86,

Yeah, I'm still around, its just been a bit quiet in here until the last few days - looks like people are getting used to how to do these types of switch, and aren't getting caught out listening to the VM drones saying they can't do it. 

Glad they finally stopped saying "its in the terms and conditions", that one really grated one me! 😄

Yeah, good question, actually. I have always done this and got the Quidco cashback offer, but never doubled up to see if it would work. I can't see why it wouldn't, as the Quidco check VM would do is that the account is still "active" after 28 days before triggering the cashback, so in theory I guess you could. 

...I'll add that to my list for next year.

One more lovely piece of information I managed to get from the Exec team, related to their new Volt package - It comes with a useless O2 SIM card, which will never be used, so the package price with VM was £60, and another £25 billed separately with O2 - I managed to have the SIM cancelled, so just pay a flat £60 now [supposedly] for their 1G package - considering their router isn't capable of distributing that kind of speed, and I only get about 500Mbps, I think that's a fairly ok deal in the long run. 

Best, 

B

Hi Ben,

Great info - thanks!  How did you go about cancelling the O2 part of the Volt deal?

Thanks in advance

C

Hi @BFBULLER1

Just wanted to clarify something, when you say 'Cancelled in my name, disconnection day was March 14th. New installation in my partner’s name on March 15th.' - do you mean wait until the day after the disconnection then go onto the website to create a new customer deal/contract, or do you do this earlier and just arrange the installation day to be the day after disconnection?

If anyone else can confirm that would be great 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Tomm1992
Joining in

Thanks everyone for the information on here, especially BFULLER1.

I have one question before I go ahead and join as a new customer. My disconnection date is the 11th January but the earliest date I can get an engineer to come out is the 1st February at a cost of £30 so I'm having to go with the self-install option. Does anybody know if I can get them to send this self-install package out before my disconnection or would I have to opt for the 12th January for it to arrive? 

Many thanks

Tomm1992
Joining in

& if I can get the self-install sent out at time, would it be best getting it sent out on the 11th which is my disconnection date? So if I get any retention deals before that, I can cancel the new customer deal?

Hi Tomm1992, 

Thanks for your post and questions around leaving and rejoining as a new customer. 

In order for a new order to be accepted on to the system, the previous active account must be in a pending disconnection state. Once a new order is raised this would forfeit any renewal offers. 

In terms of the self install, once the new account is set up we would let you know a date in which we can deliver the equipment to you. It's not always possible to do this on the day after your disconnection so the sooner you organise things the better to reduce any time without service. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have recently done this and it has been a complete and utter nightmare!!! 😱

Gave my 30 days notice of cancelling.
Wife filled out forms for new contract online start date same as my cut off date as per email received from Virgin. 
all good so far - well maybe not*
Received a text saying that I would be cut off nearly 2 weeks earlier than agreed. 
many, many, many calls to Virgin support and they all said that nope cutoff date was set for the agreed date and we "don't know why you have no connection" - all agreed that the cutoff date was showing as the date agreed - even had one call that told me that final bill would be £5.xy owing to me..
Engineer dispatched and couldn't make head or tail of what was going on (2 hours of scrabbling back and forth between the comms box and the house (it's literally less than 20m from the house) - he couldn't figure out what the issue was. New router and no connection wired or wireless.
Booked a "bench engineer" to come out and check for 2 days later - no show - no notification - called again and appears that engineer was cancelled by Virgin (thanks, needed that 4.5 hours of pay that I took off to be there for the engineer)
Called Virgin that night and was told (probably a slip) that my connection was on a "slow disconnection"  apparently and that supposedly drops the speed/connection until the cutoff date, not sure if that's even legal but hey....... The connection actually just stopped nearly 2 weeks early and hasn't even given us dial up speeds, let alone slowing speeds, sip phone completely cut off and no wifi enabled on the router.

*Now we get to the Wife and her saga - 
Details filled out online as above
Received emails with pre contract details - so thinking everything was good left it at that.
No sign of any other details so she called - oh dear, we have no record of anything from you (despite the emails we received)
Ok so lets get that done now - details given etc. told that we'd get pre contract details - get those - completely the wrong package, not even close to what she asked for. 
Call Virgin again - oh we don't have any record of either account/request etc......
Ok give all details, again, and make sure that's the correct package - email received all good but hey, can't do the original date that was booked, earliest will now leave us effectively without BB access for 3 weeks (wife having to work of 4g wifi router me having to drive to office as it can't handle 2 of us working). 
I'll get her to call in a few days to confirm everything again to make sure we don't get rammed again.

While in the long run this has the potential to save us a lot of cash over the 18 months, it's definitely not been a good experience. I don't hold it against the staff I spoke to directly, the company needs to get their "stuff" together. I will possibly update when this saga is over and if we get everything set up when they have said.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi THERADAR73,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to read into the experience that you've had with the team - this isn't the level of service that we aim to provide. Just to touch on what has been advised in regards to a 'slow disconnection' that's not something that can/has/will ever be put into place. I am really unsure as to why that has been advised, as it's not something that's possible to do - so I apologise again for that. 

I can appreciate that this has been a long process for you. I am more than happy to take a look for you just to confirm everything to give you a better peace of mind if that helps? 

I will pop you over a PM. 

Cheers,

Ryan. 

Thanks Ryan_N, I have PM'd you some details and will update as I get more info. I have now sent back the Tivo and router in the supplied box and Wife™ will be calling to confirm installation date etc. today

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @THERADAR73

Thanks for your response

My colleague will be back in touch via Private Message as soon as possible, thank you for your time 🙂

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs