cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel and my partner join as new customer

silentg1971
Dialled in

my contract is coming to an end and since virgin have zero interest in giving me better deal after 20 years plus with them .

I am rarely at home anyway with work but if my partner wants virgin services and pays for it herself, can she get the new customer deals

230 REPLIES 230

BFULLER1
On our wavelength

Hi golden86,

Yeah, I'm still around, its just been a bit quiet in here until the last few days - looks like people are getting used to how to do these types of switch, and aren't getting caught out listening to the VM drones saying they can't do it. 

Glad they finally stopped saying "its in the terms and conditions", that one really grated one me! 😄

Yeah, good question, actually. I have always done this and got the Quidco cashback offer, but never doubled up to see if it would work. I can't see why it wouldn't, as the Quidco check VM would do is that the account is still "active" after 28 days before triggering the cashback, so in theory I guess you could. 

...I'll add that to my list for next year.

One more lovely piece of information I managed to get from the Exec team, related to their new Volt package - It comes with a useless O2 SIM card, which will never be used, so the package price with VM was £60, and another £25 billed separately with O2 - I managed to have the SIM cancelled, so just pay a flat £60 now [supposedly] for their 1G package - considering their router isn't capable of distributing that kind of speed, and I only get about 500Mbps, I think that's a fairly ok deal in the long run. 

Best, 

B

Hi

So is there any possible way to signing up as a new customer and somehow retrieving the old landline?

What if i port my landline number somewhere else and then port back before the disconnection date?

Anyone managed to sign up on a different persons name and keep the old landline number?

Hi there @happytre3frendz

Thank you for your post and welcome back to the forums. 

If you wanted to port your number you would need to port it out and back in again. 

So sorry for the inconvenience there. 

Well I read previously that if an engineer comes to install the service he can port the old number back.

Why isn't this clear and why is it so difficult to keep the same landline number.? 

@happytre3frendz wrote:

Well I read previously that if an engineer comes to install the service he can port the old number back.

Why isn't this clear and why is it so difficult to keep the same landline number.? 

You read wrong I’m afraid the engineer who attends can’t port any numbers, it’s a purely backend system, which mostly works, but sometimes doesn’t even at the best of times.

Look, be honest here, you are wanting to game the system, no? You don’t want to pay the full amount after the minimum term contract and are trying to ‘fiddle’ it by getting your partner to be a ‘new customer’ yes? 

All fine, and fair enough if that is indeed how the system works, but you can’t have it both ways. For this to work, your partner is legally a new customer with no connection to you. Your old account is cancelled, including the phone number and the new account holder get an all new setup. Just as if you had moved out and, say, I had moved in. Now if I were to call VM and insist that I want the same telephone number as the previous occupant (ie you), what do you think they will say?

But that doesn't make any sense. If I want to move out and my mother wants to take up a new contract then surely she should be allowed to use the same number she has had for years right? 

I guess porting to sipgate could work but I don't know how it works with virgin broadband 

Yes, she can use her old number from her existing account and have it ported to her new account at her new house. 

Does your partner have their own phone number associated with an account in their name? If they do then in theory that could be ported across to their new VM account. But it has to be THEIR own number registered to an account in THEIR name, not yours!

You could try the porting to SIPGate route, but there is an issue here, if you port the number away from VM, then that means a contract change, ie removal of the telephony service. That triggers an immediate new 18 month minimum term contact in YOUR name and it might even be more expensive monthly.

Sorry, but whatever way you look at this, if you go down this route then by far the most likely outcome is that you absolutely are going to lose the number.

Ok  a few questions.

Now my disconnection date is 11th June. When can i port my number to SIPGATE without incurring a charge. I should be allowed to port over at the end of my contract right?

Now assuming my landline number is ported to SIPGATE, what does this mean exactly how do i go about using my phone now?

I currently have BT cordless 8500 (quad) which is connected to my virgin media HUB and it works flawlessly, i receive calls and can make calls fine.

So lets assume i take out a new contract and i get the new landline number, would i be able to use my SIPGATE number with the new contract so i can just receive calls on my old number?

Does that make sense?

Is this possible?

Any advice will be appreciated

@happytre3frendz wrote:

Ok  a few questions.

Now my disconnection date is 11th June. When can i port my number to SIPGATE without incurring a charge. I should be allowed to port over at the end of my contract right?

Now assuming my landline number is ported to SIPGATE, what does this mean exactly how do i go about using my phone now?

I currently have BT cordless 8500 (quad) which is connected to my virgin media HUB and it works flawlessly, i receive calls and can make calls fine.

So lets assume i take out a new contract and i get the new landline number, would i be able to use my SIPGATE number with the new contract so i can just receive calls on my old number?

Does that make sense?

Is this possible?

Any advice will be appreciated

No, it isn’t and never will be YOUR number, it belongs to the provider, who allows you to use it - a bit like email addresses really, unless you happen to own the domain.

Firstly have you informed VM that you are cancelling? If so then there is a hard stop on porting the number, not VM’s fault but an OFCOM regulation - so you have already lost it, it now cannot be ported elsewhere. While there is a ‘cease’ order on a number then it cannot be ported.

But maybe you haven’t already told VM you are leaving, you could now port the number because it has to be live with no ‘cease’ order against it. But doing so immediately changes your contact and starts a new one with VM for 18 months.

Sorry but - to put it crudely - you are screwed! Please for your own sanity, give it up, if you proceed down this route your are absolutely going to lose the phone number!

That makes no sense. I spoke to plusnet and BT and they said they can easily transfer my number across so i keep it. I have told virgin that i want to leave them and i may go with a different provider and i DEF said that i will want to keep my number. They said no problem as long as the new provider makes a request for it before the line gets disconnected. 

So i have not lost the number its still active right now but the disconnection date for all services is going to be on the 11th June. So why would porting the number to SIPGATE mean i now have to sign up with virgin media again? I dont understand what you are saying