cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

TKD
On our wavelength

last week my no number calls added up to 49 the week before the memory on my phone was full the  only thing I can do now is delete them every day, this is very poor as I have to check I've not missed any hospital calls while been out.

TKD
On our wavelength

how can VM justify the fact that they messed up with hub 5 and don't care about its customers misery ( but do care about our money?) I'm very dissatisfied,technology should move forward not backward.

Chris_Myers
Superfast

891 replies to the original message over 9 months. Just how long does it take to understand the issue, the incompetence of replies, the lack of communication both with the wider customer community, this group specifically, between Various teams (first line support, executive team, engineers to name a few) and poor management and ownership of the issue,

The lack of an appropriate technical solution and rectification timeline does not endear this company to anyone. Virgin Media, we and your team members deserve better, 

The merger with O2 fares no better.  Neither the O2 teams or the Virgin Media teams are cross trained and it takes multiple hops of chasing support teams to find the one person who can address any issue that crosses borders (A VM contract that includes O2 mobile contracts).

Just exactly who owns the internal procedures and where is the management oversight and control? Does anyone ask "is this fit for purpose" or "is the response appropriate"?

Lets start with the easy question (again) - what phone systems do work with a Hub 5?

I must agree with your O2 comments. I had to go to the Ombudsman due to the mess O2 made of a SIM only contract taken out when I upgraded my broadband. O2 were not able to give me the deal that Virgin put in my contract. When I cancelled the contract, O2 made charges to my account incorrectly and then tried to use a debt collection agency to get the money. That was eventually sorted out but then my credit record showed the O2 account in default. It took the Ombudsman to get it sorted out and I eventually received an apology from Virgin.

Have been downgraded to a hub 4, no, no number calls for past 4 weeks. Greatly reduced range though.

Chris_Myers
Superfast

Is that a solution or a fall-back position? change one degradation of service for another!

I’ve done the same - speeds not so high but still good enough, around 850mb - no ghost calls since which is a great relief - like my engineer said the hardware is faulty - it’s either test phones to see which don’t give ghost calls with hub5 - if you can be bothered or change hub for now. 

rlay
Tuning in

So VM have identified the issue, but calls to 2nd line and an engineer, which they insisted on, have not been aware of this.

I have now missed an important call, not to mention the time it takes to keep clearing them down.

I have a located a permanent solution to this issue, I cancelled my VM account in its entirety.

So long VM, after 18 years as a valuable customer. No more neigh on £100 a month from me.

This issue has been ongoing and there are no signs of it being resolved. Do the only option you can and cancel, show them you have the power to force them to make the changes necessary.

mikewot
On our wavelength

Ooooppppsss!  Overnight 10 calls and lots more since then.  At least I had a day and a half relief. 

moof
Fibre optic

FYI retentions offered me a Hub4 yesterday, to address this "well known-about issue". I declined.

Having waited 56days to port my number away, tomorrow is my big switch and I'm looking forward to not having to clear down my missed call logs anymore on my BT Premium Phones

CISCO SPA112 configured and ready to go,  just need Townsends in the VirginMedia R186 signal box (there's only a certain age of reader who's getting that reference!) to pull the lever and redirect my existing number to a true VoIP provider

...Thanx Ben 🎂☎️📙 Happy Birthday!