My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception. My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number". There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time. OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls. This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not). This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish). Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?
[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]
Answered! Go to Answer
As a result of my complaint, I have been contacted by a member of the VM resolve team based at Manchester. They have arranged for another engineer to attend and supply a hub 4 to see whether the problem replicates with the promise of a replacement hub 5 "as and when" (I did not add 'if') a solution is found. Due to family commitments, this will not be until Mid-April.
1, Does anyone know of any hub 4 problems I should be aware of? I have a 1meg package.
2, Is hub 4 part of a cheaper package and should I be paying less?
Forum messages or PM welcome.
I asked if I needed to upgrade from Hub 3 as I was concerned I was having issues with poor signal on Tivo box, poor WiFi coverage between floors of the house, and adding IP telephone may be too much for Hub 3. The engineer told me I was better off with Hub 5 as he had personally encountered many/more (I can't remember which) issues with Hub 4 in my area. I too began to get issues the day after Hub 5 was installed and had no previous experience as I was on landline prior to this. Solutions offered included, reboot/rebuild, try another telephone system, change my number, its a firmware fault - trying to get phone vendor to fix it, its a firmware fault - trying to get router provider to fix it, to its a device specific issue affecting several tested phone systems (but largely, not those identified on this forum). We have recently had the addition that firmware may be updated, but still have no clear resolution or plan date. Simply put any additional "try this" is simply kicking the can down the road and a smokescreen to hide culpability/avoid responsibility.
I negotiated a new contract at a reduced price (despite the ongoing issues) but new contracts move the mobile phone to the O2 Network which adds £25 on top on the VM account reducing the net gain to £10-£15. Worse still I did this on Friday, and as of 17:00 Tuesday, my migration of my old VM number to my new O2 SIM has not taken effect and I am without my mobile on top of my other woes. It turns out VM staff do not know how to address issues with O2 accounts and cannot see their documentation, whereas O2 staff cannot see the VM documentation as the switchover and training is incomplete.