cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there PRidgway,

Can I ask does the phone not work at all with the adaptor provided?

Regards,

Kain

People are bashing Virgin media a multi billion £ company.   We all know the mods here are doing their best but have their hands tied. 
The way that virgin deal with faults and their whole customer service system is shambolic.   I've seen way better from ISP#s that are 1/10000th of the size. 
It's not the mods or the tech support people's fault that the whole system is a joke.   We take our frustration out here but I bet you this,  everyone is angry at VIRGIN, not any one moderator.   THis has been going on a YEAR NOW and as I have said before , most of us are virgins highest paying customers.  

Keep getting alerts about this thread really winds me up where now for 11 + months no progress has been made.   I will 100% be leaving virgin and never returning once my contract is up.    Really you should not be worrying about what other people post.   Focus on your own interaction with the mod team,  if you notice people making posts they not 16 year old kids are they ?    I dunno who you think you are to come to this thread and start "Advising people to act"  people like me and chris and countless others that have been posting in this thread for a year , and trying our best to force virgin by any means to take action, even doing their tech job for them   If you bothered to read this thread I pointed out what the issue is months and months ago and even asked people tell their hub model and brand of phone.    I dunno if you're trolling really or you some kind of narcissist.  But ye focus on your own issues and don't be telling any grown men how to act , I'm sure you must know its not gonna go down well is it,  if you know anything in life

PRidgway
On our wavelength

Hi Kain,

Thank you for picking up my post. Which adapter are you meaning? My phone plugs into my hub5 directly.

The issue is the ghost call that this thread pertains to (showing “no number” in the log and not ringing). According to OFCOM, the service provider is responsible for providing equipment if their changeover to digital telephone causes issues.

I have only recently had this issue after getting a hub5; others have had the issue for almost a year.

We are still awaiting a response to other questions raised, but it appears the issue affects some telephones and not others. Under this premise, and following OFCOM advice, should VM not be providing replacement equipment?

Peter

PRidgway
On our wavelength
Hi Snozski,
You are correct, and I apologise. There are some people who have provided great feedback in this thread, and I thank you all.

@PRidgway wrote:

I am never quite sure as to why people insist on 'bashing' the moderaters and reps from Virgin. They are facilitators and have a challenging role of tracking down ownership of issues within their organisation after collecting information which is often inconsistent or crossing multiple issues.

The clearer the information provided to them, the easier and swifter it is for them to get to the owning part of the organisation, and the more that part has to work with.

They have acknowledged there is an issue, have provided a current status, and are off trying to get some additional answers for questions posed. This is already a very long thread and comments that achieve no benefit do not help when others come here to try and catch up with what is going on. Please be considerate of all parties involved.

For the issue on phones picking up the incorrect time; I too have this issue, but please follow common chat room behaviour and take it to a new thread rather than hijack this one which is focused on the no number ghost calls.

Thank you to the VM Mods and extended team. Keep up the good work, and thank you for your patience with us.

I suspect that the reason is simply this, VM have decided, as a company, to have the world's least competent customer services provision! And, you know, that's fine, if 'have you switched it on and off again' happens to work for the majority of issues (and, be fair it probably does), and 'we don't care' about the minority of cases - well OK, so be it.

But don't be surprised if some people kick off about it!

There was a time, a while ago, when the forum team here were actually chosen from the technical staff, and could really resolve issue or give good advice. The reality, now, is somewhat different, the 'forum team' are all under the 'social media' or 'marketing' departments - their brief is not so much as to offer meaningful help (VM having decided that this is better (well cheaper) done by relying on unpaid volunteers), but rather to promote and regurgitate fairly meaningless platitudes, 'thank you for reaching out', 'this is not the service we aim to provide' (well actually...), 'I see you have spoken to the 'the team', what did they advise? Why don't you already know, have no notes been taken, does VM run the worse CMS in the world?'

OK, not their fault, they are what they are, which is a product of what VM have decided is the way they want to operate - fine! However, the forum team are the representatives of VM, and they have to carry the flack of any criticism - basically if they have been employed to 'stick their head above the parapet', then really they can't be too surprised when some of us, who actually do understand this stuff far better than they do, metaphorically, shoot it off! No?

My BT Advanced Phone (Quad) has also had its time setting altered.  I hadn't look for additional problems until now - lets face it VM are having enough difficulty trying to address one problem at at time.  To hope they could address two issues at once is pushing the bounds of reality too far.  Still awaiting decision from ombudsman investigation.

Can you provide link to new thread please?

PRidgway No worries mate.   Soz for being a bit blunt 

@Chris_Myers wrote:

My BT Advanced Phone (Quad) has also had its time setting altered.  I hadn't look for additional problems until now - lets face it VM are having enough difficulty trying to address one problem at at time.  To hope they could address two issues at once is pushing the bounds of reality too far.  Still awaiting decision from ombudsman investigation.

I feel that I should give an honest, personal opinion as per the Ombudsman Service. Firstly they have no power, nor, indeed does any Court to 'make' VM fix these issues. At the very best they can order VM to pay 'compensation' for the inconvenience, and that won't be a lot, or, at best, instruct VM to release you from any contact without penalty and you find another provider!

Yes, my impression is it is an organisation without teeth, but its a step in the process that I can say was at least tried. I'd leave VM in a heartbeat, but my wife likes their TV service and is .... resistant to change!