cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

lenworth
On our wavelength

7C6DEAF5-E652-4500-B13E-9E955181530A.jpegI use my hub5 in modem mode. I found these new ports set up in my Synology router so I added rules in its firewall to deny them and no ‘no number missed calls’ for over 24 hours. Might have cracked it! We’ll have to wait and see. 

So ,does this mean that "Mr Virginmedia" has now got to supply us all with a Synology router to overcome the problem?.

The modem mode Hub 5 & its connection to a telephone comes before the network connection to a Synology router. 

Is the suggestion that in modem mode the Hub 5 routes Direct IP SIP traffic to the 3rd party router ?

If that was true, any Hub 5 in modem mode would suppress Ghost calls.

@lenworth wrote:

7C6DEAF5-E652-4500-B13E-9E955181530A.jpegI use my hub5 in modem mode. I found these new ports set up in my Synology router so I added rules in its firewall to deny them and no ‘no number missed calls’ for over 24 hours. Might have cracked it! We’ll have to wait and see. 

Thats got nothing to do with the no number calls as the home phone is connected to the hub5 not your 3rd party router. I sometimes get no calls on some days but then a day or two later they appear! For example, no calls shown on Monday, calls on Tuesday, then calls appear on Wednesday with calls now also appearing for Monday!

@Adela11 wrote:

Please can you tell me where these settings are on the Hub 5, I have this problem and would like to solve it.

You can't make these changes yourself, VM need to do them but they haven't commented on whether these settings are even  being tested.

Oh well you were all right. The no number calls returned today. And I thought I was being clever 😂.

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic !

Yesterday we saw an Gig 1 advert that pictured a Hub 4.  Read into that what you will.

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Just out of interest do any of these ghost calls (none ringing calls) show anything in the hubs network log as a error code or anything?

As previously mentioned I'm due the digital switch over first weekend in march and have a BT premium phone

Apart from the none ringing calls showing does the call blocker still work on these phones as mine has call screening with call blocker

Hey VM

why is this Thread not pinned to the top of the forum until its resolved?

and why is it marked ANSWERED when clearly it's not and we are still suffering with the NO NUMBER MISSED CALL issue nearly a year on?

...have to go hunting for it each time I want an update (I don't want to turn on email notifications as there are to many posts when its on a roll)

Not to mention we are about to have a price hike for a depreciated service and total lack of respect for the customer.